FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By hollyhock
A few on my sundews are not looking very good.. I cannot figure out why they are declining. Please help... Thanks
Sorry for the blurry image..
Attachments:
IMG_20160903_164824.jpg
IMG_20160903_164824.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 2186 times
IMG_20160903_164734.jpg
IMG_20160903_164734.jpg (695.04 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
IMG_20160903_164653.jpg
IMG_20160903_164653.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2186 times
IMG_20160903_164630.jpg
IMG_20160903_164630.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 2186 times
hollyhock liked this
By Earthy
I'm still a semi-nOOb, but I've found that even though the majority of people say "keep them wet!" mine do better if I give them a drying period in-between waterings. because even though they do like wetter conditions, too wet can lead to issues like with any plant (normally a yellowing of the leaves indicates that there isn't enough oxygen in the medium and too much water). my Venusta doesn't like it if the soil is too wet; it starts losing its dew and looking crappy. my Tokaensis that is pumping out the stalks looks like your bottom one; I think that is just normal for some rosetted sundews to get a "skirt" of dead leaves. not sure if I'll be of any help lol...
Earthy liked this
By Shadowtski
It does look a little wet as Earthy previously said.

Are you noticing a sour smell from the media? Has anything changed in your growing setup or conditions, temperature, humidity, air circulation? Any changes in their eating habit or fertilization?

I had previously happy Drosera collapse for no known reason. Repotting in fresh media after rinsing the plants would often help. How long have they been in this media?

My Drosera aliciae would develop black in the growth point similar to your tokaiensis. Searching suggested that was due to Humic Acid buildup. That came from peatmoss breaking down, a normal and natural occurrence. I would treat that problem by top-watering it and flushing out the buildup. That is easier than repotting and may be worth trying first.

You probably thought of all of these already, but I'm suggesting them here just in case.

Good luck with doctoring them!

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By hollyhock
Thanks Lethal, Earthy and Shadowtski. I haven't given it the sniff test. :lol: I have them all in trays in my outside greenhouse. The temperatures have been changing since it's much cooler at night now. I will reduce the water in the trays as evaporation is a lot less of an issue in fall. I will top water each to rinse fresh water through the pots. I have used rainwater lately. Hmmmm maybe better test the TDS since it is runoff water from my roof into the gutter.
By Nancy
hollyhock wrote:Thanks Lethal, Earthy and Shadowtski. I haven't given it the sniff test. :lol: I have them all in trays in my outside greenhouse. The temperatures have been changing since it's much cooler at night now. I will reduce the water in the trays as evaporation is a lot less of an issue in fall. I will top water each to rinse fresh water through the pots. I have used rainwater lately. Hmmmm maybe better test the TDS since it is runoff water from my roof into the gutter.
Lynne, yours look like what happened to mine when I put mine in with my Heli's and the T5 ho lights sunburnt them. So that being said, I moved mine back in the south facing kitchen window and am leaving well enough alone. Goes with the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it (in my case anyhow ;) )
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!