FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Beaver746
Hey everyone,
I just received a big shipment from fingers001! All of the plants look amazing, so I just thought I would show them to everyone and recommend him as a seller.

My first small Cephalotus Follicularis "Typical"!

Maroon Monster

Jaws

Dentate

Kaylee -- Love this one!!! The red is awesome!

Red Giant

Large Unknown VFT

B52 x Cup

Coquillage x B52

Very excited to get these! They were packaged great (it took me like two hours to unpack them) and they are also very healthy plants! Fingers001 is one of the best cp sellers on ebay. Thanks fingers001 (I have a feeling you are on this forum since you know it's the best collection of cp information)!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beaver746 liked this
By Trapped
I got my first 3 plants from him. I was trying to find him, but he didn't pop up recently. I was wanting to cuss him out. 2 years + 200 plants later. With all the seed from others, rhizome splits, etc... It's all his fault. Turkey.

Here's a seed grown dcxl I got from him;
Attachments:
DCXL 011.JPG
DCXL 011.JPG (760.71 KiB) Viewed 6142 times
DCXL 007.JPG
DCXL 007.JPG (1020.92 KiB) Viewed 6142 times
DCXL 001.JPG
DCXL 001.JPG (746.56 KiB) Viewed 6142 times
Last edited by Trapped on Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Trapped
Smooter80 wrote:There is no such thing as a seed grown DCXL. It's a typical. This is my issue with Fingers. IMO he intentionally makes it vague on what you are actually buying. Tissue culture plant from seeds do not make cultivars.
I disagree. If you SAY it's seed grown then everybody knows what your talking about. There is no deception. I don't have a problem with someone telling me what the parent plants are. Lets say you have 2 all red plants, (rather than self pollinating one, since I think that robs some vigour, but that's probably another argument.) And from them you get 20 seeds. Yes, some of them will revert, mutate, do god knows what, but in my experience, which is admittedly limited compared to other things I grow, better than 50% will have traits of the parent plant. Would you not agree? This DCXL IS the largest plant I have, with the largest traps. As long as they SAY seed grown, I'm cool with it.
By Smooter80
You don't have a DCXL. You have a typical. It may have large traps(I wouldn't call them large yet but they may get there)but it's still a typical. Vegetative propagation, through divisions, leaf pullings or tissue culture are the only way to produce more DCXLs.

Fingers has and still does sell seed grown as the real cultivars. The problem is many times he's not clear, intentionally. That is shady and dishonest IMO. He changes his wording quite often. I've called him on "tissue culture plants" and he's admitted at least one I bought was "tissue cultured" from seed.

It's not just me, he's been called out by many people and he has never directly answered clearly on the forums from what I've seen. He beats around the bush every time.

He does seem to have some quality plants like Cephs but I'm not interested in buying anything from someone I can't trust.

Passing seed grow VFTs as cultivars is horrible for the CP community and for purity of cultivars.
By SFLguy
1. It's not a DC XL. That should be the end of the conversation but I'll go ahead and finish. If you want to show that it has DC XL in its parentage, it should be labeled DC XL x Self or whatever the parentage is (no, DC XL x DC XL is not a DC XL, it's a typical with good genes) .
2. Someone who's relatively new to the hobby won't know the difference between a DC XL and a seed grown "DC XL". It's a tactic that is used to prey on someone who doesn't know better or simply someone who didn't pay attention. It's all to get a bit more money than stating that it's not the actual cultivar.
So it's dishonest because he tries to imply that it's something it's not and never will be regardless of if it's similar or not.
What ends up happening is that someone will end up tagging their plants as the cultivars and distributing them as such leading to there being multiple clones of a cultivar.
Also to clarify, you don't have a DC XL, Maroon Monster, Jaws, etc. If they're from him
By SFLguy
Sorry if that sounds like I'm attacking you, I'm just aggravated by his practices. Someone told me he'd done the same thing with a Sarr with location data that he'd just let get pollinated naturally ( x OP) a while back and that pisses me off
By Smooter80
@Trapped. I'm sorry if I was too blunt or made you feel like I was attacking you.

This is a very friendly and helpful forum. I'm not trying to put you or your plant down. You have a very nice VFT.

I got scammed by Fingers so yes, I am upset with him. I keep track of the plants I got from him so they don't go back out someday as cultivars. I've run a few torture test on some so I got something out of the deal.
By boarderlib
They look like very healthy plants! It's always exciting getting new babies. Best of luck with them!

Please listen to what people have posted about the naming of them. That seems to be a huge problem in this hobby. I see it on a daily basis in multiple places.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Beaver746
Hey guys, I'm very concerned now. I knew that some of the plants I bought were seed grown like the B52 x Cup, but the listing said that the maroon monster and jaws were leaf pullings. Do you think that my jaws and maroon monster are true to name? They look like they are... How should I label them. This is very frustrating I should have done more research on the seller. We need a list of all authentic sellers on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
Unless that Maroon Monster was grown in low light, I would say it's not a Maroon Monster. I have a MM and it's way more burgundy than yours. The Jaws I can't comment on as I don't have one.

By zsyxcbibi
boarderlib wrote:Unless that Maroon Monster was grown in low light, I would say it's not a Maroon Monster. I have a MM and it's way more burgundy than yours. The Jaws I can't comment on as I don't have one.

That "Jaws" 's petioles are way too long than they should be. Honestly I don't see any of those plants showing the traits they suppose to have :(
By Smooter80
It's a tough call just with photos. One day suddenly EVERY SINGLE listing from Fingers changed to "from leaf propagation". That was right after he was in this forum and there was some public debate about the authenticity of his VFT cultivars. I know it can be difficult to ID a Royal Red from a Green Dragon from a Holland Red. I do however know that when Fingers sells a "Royal Red" that is a sawtooth, something is not right.
By Beaver746
Well this sucks... Never ordering from him again. I'll just relabel them all typical. That was a waste of money. Thanks for all the help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!