FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Jignesh111
Hi I wanted to know whether I could grow nepenthes just on a south facing window. I live in the UK. Would it be better to have artificial lighting and a fish tank?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
That should be just fine. Start with easier plants and work your way up to test the limits of your growing space.
By Jignesh111
What do you recommend growing from seed first?

By nimbulan
Definitely not. Carnivorous plants in general are rather slow to grow from seed and Nepenthes especially so. I have some 4 month old seedlings, only one of which has reached approximately 1cm diameter size and is still a long way from houseplant size.
By BrandonH
I grow all of my nepenthes in a south facing window. In my opinion it is the best window and 2nd would be a western window.

I agree i wouldn't try growing from seeds at first. most nepenthes can take up to 5-7 years to reach maturity.
By Benurmanii
Not to mention it is hard to find Nepenthes seeds.

Start with the hybrid ventrata, or the species sanguinea and/or ventricosa. They look good, and can get some decently sized pitchers.
By BrandonH
Benurmanii wrote:Not to mention it is hard to find Nepenthes seeds.

Start with the hybrid ventrata, or the species sanguinea and/or ventricosa. They look good, and can get some decently sized pitchers.
nimbulan wrote:I will vouch for N. sanguinea being a colorful weed. That thing is going to take over my home...
I 3rd these suggestions they are great plants for anyone who wants to grow nepenthes! They shouldn't be all that hard to locate either. Sometimes you can find them in garden centers like walmart and they are already pretty large.
By carnigrower
Seems your in the uk as I am, I would recommend n Bill Bailey to stay with, this had been made for growing on windowsills in the northern hemisphere. I have been growing this from a little 3inch plant in a bio-dome in 2011 or 12 to a nearly 4 foot vine that flowered this year.
Here's an intermediate pitcher
An upperImage
Ams a lower
ImageImage
And the whole plant
You can get a small plant of this from asda in a bio-dome, don't know if they still have them but worth a phone call. If not I have one that's 10 inches from leaf tip to leaf tip that I could part with. I also grow on the same SE windowsill, robcantleyi, tentaculata, glabrata, lowii, spectabilis, fusca x robcantleyi, ventricosa x rob, densiflora x rob, aristolochioides, spectabilis x aristolochioides and x princess alongside my numerous heliamphora and section orchidioides utricularia,
Here's a pic of jamesoniana in flower at the moment,
All are just sitting on the windowsills in ambient temp and humidity, but I do live in Edinburgh!

Kind regards

Mark
By Jignesh111
Thanks Mark

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!