FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sakaaaaa
I want to get a d. Paradoxa but I'm not sure if it is tropical. I want it to be tropical because I can't do dormancy.
By nimbulan
The Drosera petiolaris complex needs HOT conditions. Drosera petiolaris and Drosera paradoxa are the most tolerant of cooler temperatures and I believe the only ones that can handle regular room temperature.

You can read about them here http://carnivorousplants.org/howto/Grow ... Woolly.php
By Dewy the Sundew
I have a d.paradoxa. It is fine in the warm weather here in Singapore. It reacts really fast to prey too.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
By Dewy the Sundew
Although they do need strong sunlight, i grow mine under a 18 watt table lamp as with the rest of my sundews. Its doing well. :D
By Shadowtski
If you're looking for tropical Drosera, have you looked at Drosera indica (& close relatives)? Drosera indica originated in India, Australia, and Southeast Asia. It grows quickly. It is a large plant, growing up to almost 30 cm tall. It can catch many large houseflies and flying insects. It has very strong glue on its tentacles. Seed is fairly easy to obtain. These are all annuals. They grow, flower, produce seed, and die, in one year.

Other species in the D. indica group are D. finlaysoniana, D. hartmeyerorum, D. serpens, and D. fragrans. Other than D. finlaysoniana, these others are difficult to find.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By Sakaaaaa
Thanks for all the help, I might get some indica seeds if the paradoxa goes out of stock. I have never seen a byblis for sale here.
By Mufasa
i dont think they are tropical, i think they grow in the desert of western australia? they like it hot, especially bottom heat, and for paradoxa, they like that too.
By Sakaaaaa
Mufasa wrote:i dont think they are tropical, i think they grow in the desert of western australia? they like it hot, especially bottom heat, and for paradoxa, they like that too.
But other people say they are tropical...
By Sakaaaaa
Well,the D. Paradoxa went out of stock, the D. Indica seller doesn't have propper shipping. I'm getting a burmannii instead.
Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!