FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Beaver746
Hey guys I just have a few questions. So here we go.

Question 1:
ImageImage
I won these seeds from a giveaway here and they were labeled D. Capensis, but I have other capensis seedlings and those do not look like D. Capensis. (Note they do have drosera leaves, but they are tall)

Question 2:
ImageImage
Is that spaghnum moss growing with my Venus flytrap? I've never had this happen before! I hope it is.

Oh and sorry about the photos they look like crap. Haha. Thanks for reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By SerMuncherIV
1) It's too early to tell what your Drosera seedlings are but if they were labeled as D. capensis I wouldn't doubt that label (it's very rarely mislabeled due to being so common and distinctive). The seedlings are etiolated and stretching for more light which is why they're so tall.

2) Sorry, that's not Sphagnum :( Lots of people get that moss with peat mixes, I tend to leave it be with older plants as I think it makes an attractive cover.
By Beaver746
SerMuncherIV wrote:1) It's too early to tell what your Drosera seedlings are but if they were labeled as D. capensis I wouldn't doubt that label (it's very rarely mislabeled due to being so common and distinctive). The seedlings are etiolated and stretching for more light which is why they're so tall.

2) Sorry, that's not Sphagnum :( Lots of people get that moss with peat mixes, I tend to leave it be with older plants as I think it makes an attractive cover.
Ok thanks for your help SerMuncher! I just put the D.capensis seeds half way under my t5 bulbs, so hopefully they start looking more like my other Capensis soon. Oh man I was so hopeful that was sphagnum moss, but I guess I'll just keep that moss and make sure it doesn't take over my Venus flytraps. Thanks so much for your help! And if you or anyone else wants a D.capensis plant in a few months just ask I'll have lots! Haha

By nimbulan
If you want sphagnum moss you'll need to start with LFS, not peat. Be careful adjusting those seedlings to more light, they're very sensitive at that size.
By Beaver746
nimbulan wrote:If you want sphagnum moss you'll need to start with LFS, not peat. Be careful adjusting those seedlings to more light, they're very sensitive at that size.
I have some plants and seeds in some LFS I'm just waiting for it to grow (sprout? Idk)... Haha and yes I was worried about adjusting them to the light, so I just put them pretty far from the light and I'll move them closer and closer every other day or so. Hopefully I'll have some D. Capensis and some sphagnum moss in no time!

By steve booth
nimbulan wrote:If you want sphagnum moss you'll need to start with LFS, not peat. Be careful adjusting those seedlings to more light, they're very sensitive at that size.
I often get spontaneous growth of Sphagnum growing in my outdoor bogs from the peat, along with an assortment of birch trees, firs, ferns and heather, non of which I believe are set from local seed/spore, however rarely so in indoor or outdoor pots, curious.

Cheers
Steve
By Beaver746
steve booth wrote:
I often get spontaneous growth of Sphagnum growing in my outdoor bogs from the peat, along with an assortment of birch trees, firs, ferns and heather, non of which I believe are set from local seed/spore, however rarely so in indoor or outdoor pots, curious.

Cheers
Steve
Oh that's pretty cool! I have some outdoor bogs too, but nothing has started growing in them other than cp. In your experience do the ferns and the other plants harm the cp? I think it would be kinda cool to have some ferns or something in the bogs just to add some other plants. I bought some live sphagnum moss a while back, when I was setting up my bogs, and all the sphagnum moss died (too much sun I think). I guess I'm not a good sphagnum moss grower. Haha

By roarke
Beaver746 wrote:
steve booth wrote:

Cheers
Steve
Oh that's pretty cool! I have some outdoor bogs too, but nothing has started growing in them other than cp. In your experience do the ferns and the other plants harm the cp? I think it would be kinda cool to have some ferns or something in the bogs just to add some other plants. I bought some live sphagnum moss a while back, when I was setting up my bogs, and all the sphagnum moss died (too much sun I think). I guess I'm not a good sphagnum moss grower. Haha

I have been growing ferns in the same pot with two nepenthes.
By steve booth
Beaver746 wrote:Oh that's pretty cool! I have some outdoor bogs too, but nothing has started growing in them other than cp. In your experience do the ferns and the other plants harm the cp? I think it would be kinda cool to have some ferns or something in the bogs just to add some other plants. I bought some live sphagnum moss a while back, when I was setting up my bogs, and all the sphagnum moss died (too much sun I think). I guess I'm not a good sphagnum moss grower. Haha
The bogs generally need a large surface area for these plants to start showing up, the seeds/spores need to be near the surface. The birch are a positive pain , growing fairly quickly and with long tap roots, get them out while young. Heathers are OK till they get large and block out light, but are easy to control, I pull them up at the end of the year. Ferns are pretty, but grow too large, block out light and have fairly extensive roots. The firs are slower growers so I sometimes leave them a couple of years but they do get long tap roots.

If you have largeish bogs kept wet, Sphagnum will establish fairly readily, I do nothing and by the end of the year I have a carpet of moss, which I leave over winter to provide some frost protection, then pull up in spring to allow light to the rhizomes and have lots of moss use with my plants. Then the cycle starts again.

Cheers
Steve
Hello, New to the forum

I wish! These are city slicker deer. No hunting […]

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!