FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
Hello everyone,

I am making a terrarium for (mainly) mexican pinguiculas.

I am not looking for specific pinguiculas and I am open to suggestions and any mexican pinguicula.

I am interested in a variety of Pinguiculas of all colors and sizes although the more compacted ones are preferred.

They will be grown in a window that gets filtered natural daylight in addition to lighting.

If you have some spare ones, or would like to make me an offer shoot me a PM. I can trade a few sarras (S. doodle bug, and S. scarlet belle) though I don't have much to trade other than those.

I have attached pictures of how it looks now! :)
Attachments:
IMG_2809.JPG
IMG_2809.JPG (272.58 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
IMG_2808.JPG
IMG_2808.JPG (184.77 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
By Wikiwakawakawee
You should check out "Cascade Carnivores" I heard they have some of the best quality pings at a great price! I just got an order from them, it wasnt pings though. :)
By Grey
Hey jht, good to see you! How've you been?

Bit of an aside here, I was just wondering if any of your Mexican Pings have reacted negatively to the hydroponic clay balls you're using? I've mixed some in to my soil and some of my Pings have decided to have a hissy fit over their leaves touching the balls and therefore die off. I rinsed them thoroughly but hadn't ever used them for Mexican Pings before.

I'd love to see the finished product when you've fully stocked it and things start to grow in. :-D Looks fascinating. I'm sure if anyone can get Mexican Pings to work in a terrarium it's you. :lol:
By jht-union
Jds wrote:If it gets morning sunlight for 2-3 hours, it will get beautiful colors.
Sadly it does not get sunlight it gets a lot of natural daylight from the window! I am supplying extra lightning.
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:You should check out "Cascade Carnivores" I heard they have some of the best quality pings at a great price! I just got an order from them, it wasnt pings though. :)
Bought from them a Ping florian and it was ok, rather small actually but that was years ago maybe they have larger plants now. Thanks though I did look at their site yesterday pings are bit expensive too for all the ones I want (like 10 pings).
Beaver746 wrote:Your terrarium looks awesome and really fun! Very creative of you to think of that. Haha Good luck finding your pings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! :)
Grey wrote:Hey jht, good to see you! How've you been?

Bit of an aside here, I was just wondering if any of your Mexican Pings have reacted negatively to the hydroponic clay balls you're using? I've mixed some in to my soil and some of my Pings have decided to have a hissy fit over their leaves touching the balls and therefore die off. I rinsed them thoroughly but hadn't ever used them for Mexican Pings before.

I'd love to see the finished product when you've fully stocked it and things start to grow in. :-D Looks fascinating. I'm sure if anyone can get Mexican Pings to work in a terrarium it's you. :lol:
Hey Grey! :D
Long time!
Doing great here, still with carnivores, can't leave them! Have my personal collection a bog garden outside which I don't have to water at all! lol they are loving it, I will try and put pics up before autumn gets in the way! :)

I actually made the terrarium during the weekend and acquired all the plants you see in the terrarium yesterday so I have no idea how it will react to the clay balls :/ that's not good. Hopefully nothing will happen to mine. I am growing them in a mix of peat/silica sand/and the clay balls. Soil is very aery but in a terrarium! the lower part has water but only for the initial wetting of the soil and the pings will go in the upper portion of the terrarium so there is no standing water for them.

I hope they grow for me as well!!! :D Thanks and how are you doing?

HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:I recomend cascade caenivores and california carnivores.
Thanks, already checked those! Just really looking to see if any members have some first before buying on the sites.
By Grey
Ahhhh lovely. I can't wait to see how things progress for you! Mine had a near-instant reaction (within 24 hours) to some media they didn't like so if you have any issues it'll probably show up very quickly. Hopefully you won't, though!

I'm doing well, thank you kindly, still fighting my health but hey! ;-) Also getting married next April, which is intensely amazing and awesome and surprising!
By jht-union
Grey wrote:Ahhhh lovely. I can't wait to see how things progress for you! Mine had a near-instant reaction (within 24 hours) to some media they didn't like so if you have any issues it'll probably show up very quickly. Hopefully you won't, though!

I'm doing well, thank you kindly, still fighting my health but hey! ;-) Also getting married next April, which is intensely amazing and awesome and surprising!
Grey,

No reaction after 24 hours.
I did use charcoal sand to put on top on that area you see that is black and the pings primuliflora have black tips on the leaves but has not developed further so probably isn't the charcoal but we will see!

congrats for your upcoming marriage :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: where is the honeymoon happening haha?
jht-union liked this
By Grey
Great news about the Pings not reacting! I'm not sure what's going on with mine, I think perhaps it's something in the soil. My baby ones don't seem entirely happy, and yet not all of them are affected. I'll do some digging.

Thank you! We're honeymooning locally (well, about two hours away) in a beautiful log cabin surrounded by lakes and forests. :-D There's even a hot tub!!
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!