FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Stripe
VFT missing traps, also some are mutilated. It's happened about everyday this week. I put a cage over it last night and came out this morning to see one of the newer traps with marks on it. So I guess it's a little too narrow, or it's a smaller pest. Just wanted some opinions on what it could be before I move to the next step.
Attachments:
CAM03068.jpg
CAM03068.jpg (268.36 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
CAM03067.jpg
CAM03067.jpg (86.72 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
By AaaaNinja
I don't think that cage can keep a squirrel out. They can get through openings the size of a quarter

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
By Stripe
Yeah I was thinking of getting a bird cage with the narrower bars. I just got that last night as a quick fix. The trap that was marked up in the pic was sticking out a bit.
By pieguy452
I feel like a bird or squirrel would do more damage than that. Maybe it was catipiallars?
By katya_dog1
Looks a lot like bird damage to me. Birds generally try to get at the bugs in the traps, and clean-edged damage is more likely the result of a bird's smooth beak than a squirrel's teeth.

AaaaNinja wrote:I don't think that cage can keep a squirrel out. They can get through openings the size of a quarter

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
What species of squirrel (when fully mature) can get through a hole the size of a quarter? Some flying squirrel?
By Stripe
Update:

I have not lost anymore traps since adding the cage. New growth is coming in and is looking great. I'm pinning it on the society finches that frequent my yard. Thanks everyone for your input.
By AaaaNinja
katya_dog1 wrote: What species of squirrel (when fully mature) can get through a hole the size of a quarter? Some flying squirrel?
Grey squirrels, a one-inch hole. For a flying squirrel just a nickel.

That might actually be the size needed for being able to get the teeth in and chew so I'm not sure, I'm just making that up because it made sense. I found other guidelines saying wire mesh with a max size of 1"
By omnipercp15
At least it's not your ducks! My new ducks were trying out various plants around the yard and decided to nip off a few VFT traps as well as Nepenthes traps....but at least they found out they don't like it so they won't be bothering those plants anymore.

I'm glad I don't have to take more precaution for those plants.

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!