FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Jds197
Sorry about not posting recently, I recently graduated college, got a job, and moving out to Columbus Ohio. Now that I'll actually have some extra money and a place to call my own, I plan on building a proper highland grow shelf for my nepenthes and heliamphora. Luckily I have mostly everything already, the only things that I need to get are humidifiers/misters, a humidity tent for the shelf, and an air conditioner for the night time temperature drop and general cooling. I have a Zoo Med Hygrotherm humidity temperature controller to run everything, but it can only run up to 1,000 watts of appliances. Does anyone know of a low wattage portable indoor air conditioner (not window, I'm not allowed to have them in my apartment complex) that I could use for this project? Most of the ones that I'm finding are around 950 watts, which is a little too close for comfort to the limit. I don't mind buying another Hygrotherm to run the fans and humidifiers inside, I just don't want to burn out the one I have. Thanks!
By cjpflaumer
Speaking from an electrical standpoint, yeah AC is going to be a huge consumer. That's the highest consumer of your home. For a small window unit, you can find them around 4.5- 5 amps that at 120 volts will be using 540-600 watts. That's a lot lower than 950 at least. I would say that's about as small as you could go. That's for 6000 btu. Which covers up to 250 square feet. 5000 btu for 150 sq ft is probably a little lower. Keep in mind there is also the surge wattage, when you first turn the unit on and that's going to be momentarily higher than the running wattage.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!