FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By ibleedgreen
My seedlings recently germinated. I'm about to transfer them to a pot of LFSM.

I read that the moss should finely chopped, correct? How often should I water them and how much sunlight (I live in Texas)?

Thanks in advance
By Leathal_Traps
I would advise against transferring any seedlings unless absolutely necessary. Why not sow the seeds on the LFSM directly instead of waiting for them to germinate on a different media and then transferring them?
By AaaaNinja
Leathal_Traps wrote:I would advise against transferring any seedlings unless absolutely necessary. Why not sow the seeds on the LFSM directly instead of waiting for them to germinate on a different media and then transferring them?
I think they were germinated in water.
By ibleedgreen
They are VFT seeds. I germinated them in water (current still in water). They all have green and "hair" (roots?), while one is more developed and has two/branched out.

When should I transfer them out to LFSM? And once transfer, how much sun?
By ibleedgreen
I've moved my seedlings to a pot full of LFSM with a layer of ground LFSM. Currently they are under a permanently shaded patio.

Current questions:
1. Should I move them into the sun with saran wrap so they can get some sunlight?
2. How wet should I keep the LFSM?
Attachments:
IMG_20160716_134753.jpg
IMG_20160716_134753.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 3226 times
Last edited by ibleedgreen on Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Leathal_Traps
1. Sun+saran wrap is a no no. Your plants will fry. I would leave them in the patio for about a week still so the roots can get established in the media.

2. Does that pot have holes on the bottom? It should. For about a week or two I would keep it more wet that normal since the roots are still getting established. After that make sure it's moist but not wet.
By HeliamphoraWalnut
Where do you live in Texas? Where I live in Texas, I put a bagged vft, a relatively large one, outside, in the shade, came back the next day, and it was baked. I put all my bagged plants indoors, including seedlings.
By ibleedgreen
I live in Houston. Currently I have the seedings in the shade, I try to expose them to sun for a few minutes each day.

Keeping them moist but I noticed some if them are browning at the points, does that mean it's TOO moist?
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!