FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

Which stage of a mealworm's life is the most nutritious for a Cp?

Worm
71%
Pupae
14%
beetle
14%
By Gry
Which stage of a mealworm's life (Worm, pupae, beetle) is the most nutritious for a CP? Please do not skip this without replying, unless you really don't know.
If you know, but you are in a hurry, use the poll.
By roarke
I voted worm, altrough is actually the larva stage. I think it has more nutrition for a cp. because is larger than a egg and i did not choose the adult beetle because it contains a exoskeleton wich adds to its mass and it is not nutritious.
roarke liked this
By Gry
roarke wrote:I voted worm, altrough is actually the larva stage. I think it has more nutrition for a cp. because is larger than a egg and i did not choose the adult beetle because it contains a exoskeleton wich adds to its mass and it is not nutritious.
Ah, I see, so the worm stage is the most nutritious then? Makes sense, thanks for the reply :) I Appreciate the help.
By ChartheDragon
I believe that the beetle stage is the best because my friend's flytraps grew the most being fed that, and also mealworm larvae are pure exoskeleton. (They are actually bad to feed to young reptile because of the being mostly exo). Although if you will feed your flytraps anything I don't recommend mealworms as they have barely any fat wich is a bit of a waste of trap energy, and they can chew thrugh the trap leaves, it has happened before.
By Salia
If I recall correctly, of the three stages the pupae have the least amount of chitin that boosts digestive enzyme production in venus flytraps. The head of the larvae can be crushed to prevent chewing, and I'd disagree that they're pure exoskeleton... But I don't know if there's enough of a significant difference in the nutrition to make a difference for a cp? If you're very worried about nutritional levels of insects you might try experimenting with gut loading insects beforehand and/or dusting them with supplemental powder?
Salia liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!