FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Tipitiwitchet
Ooh I'm excited! I planted a packet of "Assorted Cactus Seeds" and already have a few started within a week.
I cannot wait to try and identify them once they start to form something recognizable!
I'll post some pics once they have started really growing!
By Beaver746
Hey, here are some I started growing 03/05/16. They are pretty easy to grow you just need to make sure the humidity is high and they have the right kind of soil. Oh and it takes forever until you can accurately identify species of cactus. They all good similar the first year. Haha Image

Nice to see succulent growers on this forum! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By kjnorris918
dr_donut wrote:I've never tried to grow cacti from seeds. What soil do you use?
You can buy cacti soil or you can make your own. I've had some grow in a mix I made of organic soil, sand, and some rock.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
By Beaver746
You can use lots of things! The easiest is to buy the per made cactus mix from miracle grow, but it's really crappy. I make my own mix. I mix peat, silica sand, perlite and garden soil. You want to make it airy and have good drainage, so go heavy on the sand and perlite. This is the general mix, but if you have a succulent from a tropical area you want to put more peat and if you have a cactus from the desert you want to go with less garden soil. There are also more alternatives you could use coir, pumic, lava rock instead of the perlite and sand. So it's really up to you how you make your soil! Oh and just a fun fact that most people don't know, succulent is a broad group of plants that hold water in their leaves. So cactus, Lithops, and a aloe Vera plant are all succulent plants.

Beaver746 liked this
By kjnorris918
Beaver746 wrote:
You can use lots of things! The easiest is to buy the per made cactus mix from miracle grow, but it's really crappy. I make my own mix. I mix peat, silica sand, perlite and garden soil. You want to make it airy and have good drainage, so go heavy on the sand and perlite. This is the general mix, but if you have a succulent from a tropical area you want to put more peat and if you have a cactus from the desert you want to go with less garden soil. There are also more alternatives you could use coir, pumic, lava rock instead of the perlite and sand. So it's really up to you how you make your soil! Oh and just a fun fact that most people don't know, succulent is a broad group of plants that hold water in their leaves. So cactus, Lithops, and a aloe Vera plant are all succulent plants.

What types do you grow?

By Beaver746
I grow lot of different kinds of succulents, from a aloe Vera to jades to an oreocereus trollii. Haha. Here is a link to my Flickr succulent album that has pictures of almost all of my succulents. https://www.flickr.com/gp/144366165@N04/h29jxS

My plant addiction started with succulents, so I have a lot more succulents than cp right now. Might change tho. It's really interesting cp and succulents are the total opposite of each other, but they both have adapted to grow in very poor conditions. Cp adapted to the poor conditions by growing fly traps and succulents adapted by storing water in their stems and leaves. This is probably more than you wanted to know, but it's very interesting to me. Haha.

By kjnorris918
It says page not found. I completely understand. I did the same thing. I have 10-12 types of cacti and succulents and just a few CPs.....for now. Haha.

By Salia
Never seen cacti seedlings before, interesting looking aren't they? I'm guessing gloves are involved in repotting them?

I used to keep a few african succulents, this thread sort of makes me miss them.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!