FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Submit a photo to enter the contest or vote for your favorite photo submission

Moderator: Matt

By pieguy452
Sometimes things get lost in translation online. A sentence when read may appear to be stern or blunt, but in reality in was just said in a casual manner. I also think it is very important to be patient with people.

Nothing good comes from bashing people of their ignorance. When I first joined I asked some pretty stupid questions myself (they make me cringe when I read them again lol). I'm grateful people were patient with me.

Everyone here should feel free to ask questions without fear of being judged.

If you're mean to someone just because they asked a question, you may have very well destroyed their confidence in growing carnivorous plants, and may have even ended their future with these magnificent plants as a result.
By Earthy
xr280xr wrote: Kind of you guys, but I think Earthy can handle it just fine without a swarm of coddling. If you're gonna dish it out, you'd better be ready to take it too. Earthy said so.
there's a difference between coddling as you put it, and encouragement. they were giving encouragement. everything that pieguy452 said is exactly what I experienced from a few "experienced growers". I have no problem taking it as you put it, but I do have a problem when it becomes a problem and tears someone down and makes them doubt if they are doing things correctly, especially a new grower or someone who has only been growing for a little over 2 years (such as myself).
xr280xr wrote:The user this was directed at has never posted in the forums again since. So maybe we're all just better off making a little bit of an effort to be more kind and encouraging with our advice.
actually, that user and I exchanged PMs about the matter, and it was resolved; i.e we talked it out. so for you to hint that her disappearing was because of me is really not cool; there's something called life that gets in the way sometimes and eats up free time that you have...
By Earthy
20160708_151811.jpg
20160708_151811.jpg (204.34 KiB) Viewed 6921 times
Vote for me!!! Oh wait lol :P

(My cool sideways pic uploaded from my phone...Anyone know how to flip it lol?)
By boarderlib
Earthy wrote:I didn't enter at all because honestly, I've been told by some in the past 2 years of my growing that basically my growing skills weren't "up to par" in some areas and that my plants "should be bigger", or I was keeping them "too dry", etc. so I just didn't have the confidence to go up against the rest of the ones that entered :(
Don't let what others say effect you personally. Not everybody has perfect conditions, and perfect plants all the time. Every grower has their own techniques, and things that work for them. I know some of mine have been through the ringer, some intentionally and some oopsies too. Healthy isn't a color, it's an overall summary of total condition.

I've gotten the feeling I'm not liked on here, but I still participate and try to help the newer growers when I can. It could be because I haven't proved myself yet too, but either way I try to help and participate. Just like you, and all of the other growers who have helped me get this far with my collection (insert huge thank you here). Don't let other people's opinions stop you from participating. Opinions are like a$$#@!es, everybody has one.

Good luck to everyone who participated! There's some great photos!

I apologize for being delayed and off topic. I'm just trying to pass a favor along.
boarderlib liked this
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!