FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By leiter1212
I have a desk lamp in my house and 2 plants. I'm waiting to see if the plants do well in the light I have them in outside all day. The reason I might stop leaving them outside is I have them in light all day but it is usually blocked by a tree. So its mostly indrect sunlight but the sun hits the plants threw the leaves for a few hours a day. So I'm waiting to see how each plant looks in about a month to see if artifical lighting might be a little better option. Anyway what I wanted to know is do you think this desk lamp with 1 40 watt 6500k cfl light would be good for just 2 plants or would I need something more substancial?
By nesler
I assume it's the equivalent 40 watt, and not an actual 40 watt (really friggin bright) CFL. Probably something like 9 or 11 watts? I would bump it up to an 75 or a 100 watt equivalent, which are actually 20 and 26 watts, I think. Check the maximum wattage the lamp can handle. It'll usually have a sticker near where the bulb goes saying the maximum wattage it can handle. If it was made for lower wattage old-style incandescent light bulbs, it can probably handle either of the CFLs I mentioned.
For two plants, a 75 would be enough, as long as maybe you set up some white paper or something around them in order to reflect light back onto the plants. Otherwise, you might want to play it safe and go with a 100.
By leiter1212
ty sir I figured that would probably work but Ill see if they need more light by next month I should be able to tell.
By watnazn
Yeah, I tried the standard cfl, i think its 13 watt. It works but you don't get good color, I would recommend a higher wattage equivalent as well.

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Not what you would expect...

Is it behind the seedling cup of drosera capensis […]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!