FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to organize or join a group order

Moderator: Matt

By SFLguy
evenwind wrote:
SFLguy wrote:What carrier was used? USPS?
If I remember right, it was FedEx - there was some reason that they were the only ones who would coordinate the pickup from the import station.
Someone on the other thread had been in contact with USPS and apparently the APHIS station is in a usps facility so it may be a lot easier to go through them.
By evenwind
I might easily be mis-remembering but there was a reason it got complicated - and expensive. Maybe different stations have different arrangements with carriers?
By SFLguy
Maybe, it may also be that it's much more complicated for FedEx to run the packages through USPS's system
By HeliamphoraWalnut
evenwind wrote:I might easily be mis-remembering but there was a reason it got complicated - and expensive. Maybe different stations have different arrangements with carriers?
Didn't the import permit expire or something?
By pokie22
I usually always import on my own without troubles and it sounds like there is some confusion here. I think I will just place my own order. FyI, after inspection they can return it via USPS, which is already paid for with the original shipping.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
By evenwind
Okay, I didn't want to re-read it (and now I'm upset all over again) but I found something significant on page 13 of the C&M group order thread:

"I won't know (the cost of shipping from the from the station to my house) until it arrives in the USA. FEDEX will weigh it and charge me then.

USPS was going to be (insurance alone) $36 plus delivery charge on top of that. The problem with them was that the label had to be used within three days of purchase and it has to be included in the box with our plants. Obviously they won't arrive in the USA within three days so I had to go with FEDEX."
evenwind liked this
By sbrooks
Another minor snafu was that Sarah was informed that group orders are actually illegal, so you might want to keep that detail out of the conversation whenever talking to customs / USDA agents.

They seem to let Sarah slide on this, but I'm sure that varies depending on the agent and what kind of morning they are having.
sbrooks liked this
By sbrooks
Another thought was the plants survived a long time in transit, I believe partially due to them being shipped dormant. Now is the time to buy, no doubt, but delaying shipment until closer to dormancy may help preserve them on their long journey.
The person at C & M suggested that this would work best, and it was hard to argue with the results.
By SFLguy
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:Also, I'm out of town in late July, that's why I'm hesitant to join.....and I live in Texas and don't want my plants to be roasted in a box...
We could definitely plan for it to come mid August
By SFLguy
SFLguy wrote:
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:Also, I'm out of town in late July, that's why I'm hesitant to join.....and I live in Texas and don't want my plants to be roasted in a box...
We could definitely plan for it to come mid August
Gives us time to get the permits ready and for everyone to get the money together
By SFLguy
I wouldn't worry about the group order thing they can't really enforce it because technically she's selling it to us, just at the same price as the vendor + enough to cover some shipping and handling costs.
Well many of the plants that we're ordering aren't necessarily plants that go dormant, none of mine will be in any case. We'll have to look at temperatures and definitely get insurance on it but dormancy isn't a factor for many of us
SFLguy liked this
By sbrooks
SFLguy wrote:I wouldn't worry about the group order thing they can't really enforce it because technically she's selling it to us, just at the same price as the vendor + enough to cover some shipping and handling costs.
Well many of the plants that we're ordering aren't necessarily plants that go dormant, none of mine will be in any case. We'll have to look at temperatures and definitely get insurance on it but dormancy isn't a factor for many of us
Understandable. I'm down with whatever the group wants to do on timeframes.
By zsyxcbibi
Who is taking the lead on this? Is it possible for the leader to keep hold on my plants until Aug 20? I can pay for the care :)
By SFLguy
zsyxcbibi wrote:Who is taking the lead on this? Is it possible for the leader to keep hold on my plants until Aug 20? I can pay for the care :)
I think we're still figuring it out, if I wasn't already swamped I'd consider doing it, HeliamphoraWalnut?

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!