FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By blucksy
Hey there tissue culture fanatics!

Me and my friend David were hoping to do tissue culture work to sell on ebay. We currently have a lot of questions that we want to ask. David is more of the brains in this situation so he will probably discuss media and such. Thanks in advance!

What is the cheapest setup we can take advantage of (with a starter yield under 20)
What are some tips you give for noobs
What is the quickest plant that grows in tissue culture

Thanks
By BigBella
First of all, falling upon the "cheapest" route, while still hoping for some immediate commercial production, is not the way to go -- nor is it really feasible. If you are serious, some research will have to be done on your part, just as most everyone here has already done. The simplest transfer stations usually involve a turned rubbermaid tub or aquarium, sprayed with bleach solution; but those arrangements are not practical in the long run. A "starter yield" under twenty? Twenty what? Vials?

The primary tip that I would give you, is to learn and practice sterile technique, which will go a long way toward any successes or potential failures down the line; learn how to clean and not kill explants. Get a decent pressure cooker and a pH meter, which allows for calibration; and buy your supplies from reputable dealers and not from some fly-by-night eBay supplier, offering media mixes which claim not to require buffering, as I have recently seen.

In terms of fast growing plants, most sundews and venus flytraps have a good reputation for speedy development -- and are quite forgiving . . .
BigBella, BigBella liked this
By blucksy
BigBella wrote:First of all, falling upon the "cheapest" route, while still hoping for some immediate commercial production, is not the way to go -- nor is it really feasible. If you are serious, some research will have to be done on your part, just as most everyone here has already done. The simplest transfer stations usually involve a turned rubbermaid tub or aquarium, sprayed with bleach solution; but those arrangements are not practical in the long run. A "starter yield" under twenty? Twenty what? Vials?

The primary tip that I would give you, is to learn and practice sterile technique, which will go a long way toward any successes or potential failures down the line; learn how to clean and not kill explants. Get a decent pressure cooker and a pH meter, which allows for calibration; and buy your supplies from reputable dealers and not from some fly-by-night eBay supplier, offering media mixes which claim not to require buffering, as I have recently seen.

In terms of fast growing plants, most sundews and venus flytraps have a good reputation for speedy development -- and are quite forgiving . . .
Thanks bro for the help! I personally am not the brains of this situation but my friend is. If you dm me your email I can show you our plan on the doc and you can help out because this is kind of hard to explain. Anyway thanks!
By blucksy
BigBella wrote:First of all, falling upon the "cheapest" route, while still hoping for some immediate commercial production, is not the way to go -- nor is it really feasible. If you are serious, some research will have to be done on your part, just as most everyone here has already done. The simplest transfer stations usually involve a turned rubbermaid tub or aquarium, sprayed with bleach solution; but those arrangements are not practical in the long run. A "starter yield" under twenty? Twenty what? Vials?

Also I meant twenty baby jars and we have a 20 gallon terrarium. I also have done a bunch of research but we are still waiting for the day we are ready to buy them.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!