FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By trooperkris
Before you read any further, let me say that this is about me posting my setup ideas for growing sundews from seeds. If you are expecting pictures of baby sundews, then sorry to disappoint you.

About a week ago, I bought Drosera Regia seeds from a reputable seller on eBay (someone on here suggested them). I have not recieved them yet, but I want to make sure my ideal setup is good, so that they don't end up dying. I have a plastic terrarium (which I will post a picture of later), similar to that of the miracle gro starter kits. I won't be using any of the plant food or soil that came with the terrarium, for obvious reasons.

I read somewhere that I should keep them inside under a light, and the seeds themselves sitting on top of watered-down peat moss. Is this correct? It says they should germinate after a week or two, and after a month or so, I should begin to slowly begin to adjust them to the sun.

Is that pretty much what I should do? After the disaster of trying to grow sarracenia from seed, I'm very skeptical about trying to grow plants from seeds again. Like I said earlier, I'll post a picture of the terrarium I want to use, but if it turns out not to be feasible, I am able to buy another one.

Thanks in advance, guys, and have a good one. :)
By Shadowtski
You picked a challenging species to start with.

For me, Drosera regia is a difficult species to grow from seed and I'm an experienced grower. I bought mine from Petar Kostov in Bulgaria, several times. I've also bought D. regia seed from the ICPS seedbank. Mine germinate easily in about 10 to 14 days. They grow to maybe 1/4 inch tall and stop. Eventually they die. I've tried different soil mixtures using peat, sand, and perlite varying from 1:1 to 1:3. I've tried dilute Maxsea application. I've tried Osmocote pellets in the soil. I've tried grinding up bloodworm larvae into dust and applying the dust one speck at a time to the tentacular gluedrop with a pin and a magnifying glass. I've made bloodworm soup and applied it the same way. I've tried lighting from full direct sun to part sun to open shade. I also tried T-8 four foot fluorescents (x4) within 6 inches of the pots. I use distilled water. I put 1/4 inch in the bottom of the tray. I don't add more until the tray dries up. They grow in a 10 gallon glass tank. There is no cover on the tank. There is a computer-type muffin fan to blow fresh air into the tank and circulate the air. My latest theory is the pots are too small, allowing the roots to overheat, killing the plant. I'm in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and we've had a warm Spring with some 90 degree days already. I just ordered another pack of seed from Petar. This will go in a large communal pot.

If I was more intelligent and less stubborn, I would simply give up on this species and concentrate on all my other Drosera which grow easily for me. I have several dozen Drosera species which do grow very well for me. Regia just doesn't seem to like something I'm doing. I'm doing something wrong, just haven't figured out what it is.

But maybe you'll get lucky first time out. I hope you do and I wish you the best of luck. But don't get discouraged if they go belly up. Research some more on the web and try again. Get some Drosera capensis seeds and give it another go.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski, Shadowtski liked this
By trooperkris
Yum. Bloodworm soup.. :p
Haha

I'm sorry you haven't been having much luck. :/
If I somehow manage to get them to thrive, I will definitely tell you what all I did.
I bought the seeds from the same guy you did, the one from Bulgaria. I'm anxious to receive them.
I probably should have just shelled out like $35 and got a plant from sarracenia northwest. If these seeds fail, then I guess that is what I will do.
By entropy81
I also bought seeds from the same guy. Unfortunately same thing happened, they all germinated very well and quickly, and grew a bit, then died.

I'll definitely try again I kind of half-assed my last attempt. One thing I didn't do which I probably should have was feed them once the carnivorous leaves were developing. I did give them fertilized soil, and I'm not sure how much because I was winging it mixing miracle grow potting soil with peat and perlite because I couldn't find any osmocote available in the store at that time (it was middle of winter). I thought that was what killed them but maybe not.
By hollyhock
I also have struggled with D.Regia, but I am not going to give up...This thread has information that I am going to use for my next attempt
:D
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post2 ... ia#p265911

Good luck everyone...
hollyhock liked this
By Benurmanii
Seems like everyone is struggling with the seedlings damping off. I do not grow regia myself, but I have heard (and seen) from others that D. regia actually does best in a low-humidity environment. Keep the soil wet, but not sopping with seedlings, as wetter soil will keep the air around the small sprouts more humid.
By trooperkris
What do you think about this? I got this at Walmart about a year ago, and never really found a use for it. It is made of a thick plastic, so it definitely seems durable and mulit-use. Also, it has small holes in the sides, so the humidity won't be 100% I guess. I won't bother with the small slots in the bottom of the terrarium; I will fill it up almost to the top with a peat perlite mix, and place the seeds gently on top.
Attachments:
2016-06-29 12.53.05.jpg
2016-06-29 12.53.05.jpg (149.91 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
20160628_071917.jpg
20160628_071917.jpg (888.38 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
20160628_071856.jpg
20160628_071856.jpg (632.44 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
By AaaaNinja
If my seeds/seedlings are trapped under a lid I always make it a rule to take it off once or twice each day just to allow the air to be exchanged for some fresh. To prevent fungus.

I would put a thermometer inside the dome and try to make sure the temperature never goes above 90F (80 or 85 to be safe). Especially if the lamp is butted up directly against the plastic.

What are the specs on the lightbulb?
By trooperkris
AaaaNinja wrote:If my seeds/seedlings are trapped under a lid I always make it a rule to take it off once or twice each day just to allow the air to be exchanged for some fresh. To prevent fungus.

I would put a thermometer inside the dome and try to make sure the temperature never goes above 90F (80 or 85 to be safe). Especially if the lamp is butted up directly against the plastic.

What are the specs on the lightbulb?
It is a daylight bulb. Not too sure about the specifics though.
How long should I keep the light on them daily?
Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!