FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Lifecarer
I went outside to check on my carnivorous plants about a week ago. When i saw them, they had pieces torn off them! There were pieces of sundews, traps of venus flytraps, leaves of my butterwort, parts of pitcher plants, and the pitchers had the tops riped off and holes in them. What did this? At first i though it was the rain, but today my butterwort is gone, and more damage has come to my pitcher plants! Please can someone help!!??
By FLTropical
Birds, raccoons, opposums... Neighborhood kids. I'd check the torn edges - if you see claw marks that tells you something. If not, probably birds going after spaghnum.
By Abeginner
This year I had a bird land on my nepenthes and put it's beak inside of a pitcher that had the top off of it.. he made a mess of the dead bugs and what not!! Last year while the birds were going after my sphagnum they chopped off a vft flower stalk.. I ended up putting plastic forks in my pots and it seemed to help??

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
A paintball gun and a good hiding spot. You'll eventually catch the culprit.

Abeginner, plastic forks? I've never heard of such a thing. I'm guessing they go fork side up and poke intruders?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
Cool, that's a cheap trick to try. I might try that with my strawberries.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Lifecarer
I'm guessing it's either birds or squirrels, after what you guys told me. Why would they rip plants? For the insects? Do you think they took my butterwort out of the pot? If it helps, they are all in one large pot, and the butterwort was right in the middle. Any way to stop them, apart from using forks?
By xr280xr
If they're going for sphagnum moss, it's for nesting. They might be going for bugs, but sometimes they're just curious what the plants are. The squirrels around here have been more interested in digging in the dirt than in my plants...either hiding nuts or trying to find nuts...they can never remember where they put them. I've had birds pull whole VFTs out of the dirt and then just leave them laying there to dry out and die after they saw it's nothing interesting.

Moving my plants away from trees and fences where the birds could perch, and watch them helped. I doubt the forks will work. If birds really want to get at them they will (maybe it depends on the type of bird). The only thing you can do if they won't leave them alone is bird netting and/or build a cage around them. I also just read you can put out red christmas tree bulbs before your tomatoes come in to teach the birds that they're not food. Maybe you could come up with some kind of decoy CP.
Last edited by xr280xr on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lifecarer
Could i maybe put netting around the edges of my pot just to stop them perching? Since you've seen birds throughing venus flytraps, i'm guessing that's what they did to my butterwort :( . I dont have a nepenthes, i have a sarracenia barba and a psitticana( i think thats part of it? ) as pitcher plants. My sarracenia barba is the one that has suffered the most damage out of the two.
worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!