FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Kaila
Hi guys

just wondering what do you do with the insect stuck on your pings. I placed mine outdoors recently and it's been catching fungus gnats non stop. But It kinda looks icky now from all the insects. Do you clean them off your pings or just leave them alone?

I do understand that normally in the wild, rain etc natural weather is suppose to clean the ping. But since mine's on a shade I doubt that's going to ever happen.
Attachments:
even the flower stalk has an insect!
even the flower stalk has an insect!
File_004.jpeg (342.14 KiB) Viewed 6424 times
By Leathal_Traps
The whole point being carnivorous is to trap and kill insects to absorb their nutrients. I would not remove any insects
By Kaila
Yes, I do know about how they get nutrients from insects but what happens after? do you just leave the insect husk as is?
By Benurmanii
Kaila wrote:Yes, I do know about how they get nutrients from insects but what happens after? do you just leave the insect husk as is?
Yep, and even if you try to remove em you'll eventually get sick of the tedious task. Primuliflora is meant to be dirty.
By Kaila
Benurmanii wrote:
Kaila wrote:Yes, I do know about how they get nutrients from insects but what happens after? do you just leave the insect husk as is?
Yep, and even if you try to remove em you'll eventually get sick of the tedious task. Primuliflora is meant to be dirty.
Good point. Going to leave it alone then. Thank you~
By Grey
Great advice here. I had a P. ibarrae that was absolutely smothered for a long time (including its flower stalks) -- it's not the most pleasant view in all the world but it won't harm the plant in any way and you'll likely find that the husks disintegrate over time anyway. :-) Beautiful plant, looking gooood!
By Bhart90
Benurmanii wrote:
Yea, I second that. Mine is disgusting, ugly, unkept, and unappealing. And she is doing wonderful!
By gsilviusrose
So glad I checked for previous posts, because I was just going to ask this question! My ping is covered with gnats, and it looks really yucky. It resides on a very sunny windowsill in my kitchen.
I was tempted to put it out in the rain to let some of the little gnat corpses wash off, but maybe I will just leave it be. It appears to be happy (and very well fed)!
Does anyone put their pings out in the rain occasionally to rinse them? :mrgreen:
By evenwind
Instead of waiting for rain, why not use a spray bottle with distilled water to clean your pings if they get too "yucky"?
By Adelaide
I top water my primulifloras to remove dead husks. They like it really wet so I wouldn't worry about overwatering.
By Lex
A ping has to look messy... haha. Mine are covered.

Sent from my VF695 using Tapatalk

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!