FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By lemonlily
We all say we love them. Some of you are even crazy for them. Why do you like them?
By Crispy
They look like mouths chomping down on something. I've always been a big fan super mario as well
By Eric
Hi Crispy,
I like personally like dionaea because they are probably the most amazing carnivorous plant there is . 8-)
By linton
They are a curiosity, one of the few plants in the world that can "move" by themselves. There are so many different varieties that I will probably never be able to own them all. They are rare in their natural habitat and their form and colours can be beautiful.
By Pat
I like all carnivorous plants. Dionaea are very interesting and unusualy looking, but so are most carnivorous plants.
By Matt
Excellent question Lily. I like Linton's response. My reasons are very similar to his. The fact that a plant can exhibit rapid movement is awesome. Couple that with the fact that it uses this movement to trap insects and that's just astounding. Think about how incredible it is that nature has devised a way for plants to be able to catch insects with a spring trap.

I also think that they are very exotic looking and I love the coloration of typical Venus Fly Traps and the wide variety of growth patterns of the numerous cultivars makes collecting them very fun for me.
By lemonlily
I want at least another plant but my mom said school is important... I know that!!! I like them because they eat (basically.) I really wonder how many plants I have. I want more!
By linton
You have the Dionaea disease too. You'll never stop wanting more and you can never have enough!
By lemonlily
I like Dionaea disease and I'm proud of it. Beat that!
By grant
Because they are unlike any other plant out there
By Steve_D
I like Venus Flytraps because it's a plant so weird no one would believe it exists if it were not already so well-known and documented.

If Venus Flytraps became extinct and some future teacher told his or her students about it, they probably wouldn't believe such a plant ever existed. But then they would see all the great photos of Venus Flytraps from the past and really regret that such an amazing plant was ever allowed to become extinct.

I like birds, epecially parrots since I was raised in the rainforest of Peru where we regularly saw big Scarlet Macaws flying in groups across the sky. I wish I could see the one and only parrot native to the United States, the Carolina Parakeet. But it has been extinct now for almost a century.

Carolina Parakeet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Parakeet
Last edited by Steve_D on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Aging_Bourbon
i like venus flytraps because there not like any other plant well i like any carnivous plant because they just don't sit there their always active trapping an digesting insects for there survival there all unique in a way Dionaea has an active trap an sundew use there dew to digest an pitchers use some bacteria their just amazing plants
By lemonlily
I also like how they go dormant and we get to watch that too. They are very interesting to watch and can survive almost any weather.
By italo.americano
I've waited a while before posting my response and I like so many things about Dionaea that I can't just pin it down to one thing or really figure out why I started growing them. Ever since I was a little boy and saw my first picture inside a Batman comic, I knew I wanted one.

Giovanni
By lemonlily
That is funny.

I'm planning on converting my current 2'x4' into[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!