FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Kaila
Hi guys!

I've tried doing 1/2 sphagnum peat moss + 1/2 perlite and 1/2 sphagnum peat moss + 1/2 silica sand mix on my VFTs but I noticed that tons of people seem to be using long fiber sphagnum peat moss on top of their VFTs. It made me wonder if it's a better mix.

What's your experience in terms of medium? I'd like to know what your best mixes are to see if I can get better results from what I'm currently using. My dream is to someday have a little pot which is overflowing with VFTs (which I can't achieve yet as of now). So far my VFTs just grows new leaves but a lot of the older one dies as well. Haven't had the luck of increasing the number of traps yet.

Does anyone know the secret to growing big clumps of VFT? :lol: Pls share :D
Last edited by Kaila on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Leathal_Traps
I use pure long fiber sphagnum moss. My venus flytrap pot currently looks like a salad bowl.
Attachments:
salad traps.JPG
salad traps.JPG (356.48 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
By Kaila
Leathal_Traps wrote:I use pure long fiber sphagnum moss. My venus flytrap pot currently looks like a salad bowl.
Don't you get a lot of algae growth though?
By Leathal_Traps
Kaila wrote:
Leathal_Traps wrote:I use pure long fiber sphagnum moss. My venus flytrap pot currently looks like a salad bowl.
Don't you get a lot of algae growth though?
Surprisingly not at all. The pot is very deep so the surface can dry out with the roots still having plenty of water. Here is another pic a few weeks ago
Attachments:
Indoor VFT.jpg
Indoor VFT.jpg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 5275 times
By pieguy452
I still use the old school 50% peat/ 50% silica sand mix. I find my flytraps are very happy in such a mix. Never had a problem with drainage. Don't really see a need to add perlite or anything. One thing I did want to do is use a larger grit sand than what I currently use. It's pretty hard to find, though.

I've considered switching to long fiber spahagnum moss though. Still doing research on it. Both have their pros and cons I think.
By altemar
I actually tried something new this year the bottom half is long fiber sphagnum moss, the top half is 50/50 pear/petite. And my plants are loving it. Growing a lot better than previous years.
By Sakaaaaa
altemar wrote:I actually tried something new this year the bottom half is long fiber sphagnum moss, the top half is 50/50 pear/petite. And my plants are loving it. Growing a lot better than previous years.
Why the heck do you use pears in your soil mix!?
By st00pid
100% LFSM. You don't really see too many "Help! My VFT is dying" type treads when the plants are in this. That's why I use LFSM
By Kaila
Seems like LFSM to be the popular choice for VFT. You guys don't get the problems of moss or algae?

Also has anyone of you keep your VFT on terrariums?
By altemar
Sakaaaaa wrote:
altemar wrote:I actually tried something new this year the bottom half is long fiber sphagnum moss, the top half is 50/50 pear/petite. And my plants are loving it. Growing a lot better than previous years.
Why the heck do you use pears in your soil mix!?
Lol sorry auto correct changed it from peat to pear and perlite to petite. Lol
By pieguy452
It would be very interesting if someone did a test with a few similar flytraps in different growing mediums, then observed their growth over a few months.
Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!