FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By DRento
Are there any CP that actually thrive being indoors in a south facing window ?
From my googling, I haven't found any. Figured I'd ask before I give up the search.
By Kaila
Hello!

What kind of sunlight do you get on your south facing window?
Last edited by Kaila on Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Matt
Drosera capensis can do very well in a windowsill, though perhaps not thrive. It's much more tolerant to low light levels and can look very good in a south-facing windowsill.

Certainly many Pinguicula species would thrive in a sunny windowsill.
Matt liked this
By DRento
I think it gets a nice amount of light. Most plants I put there do good. My orchid has been thriving in it for almost two yrs or more.
By nimbulan
South windows are perfect for full sun tropical CPs, though you may need to keep an eye on the temperature during the summer. Whatever you do, do not put any sort of enclosure around the plants as the sun will cook them. You can start with a more tolerant species like D. capensis and branch out from there.
By DRento
I'm in zone 5 though. I can't recall if crappy Chicago weather really affects the indoor sunlight we will receive during the window. Especially on overcast days. My house is usually kept warm (74ish) and that window doesn't get really drafty
By Grey
You'd probably find that the vast majority of Mexican Pinguicula would be more than happy on a south facing windowsill. I've been windowsill growing for years and haven't had any issues with it, even during unusually overcast English springs and summers. :-)
By DRento
Awesome ! Any ideas on a good place to awuire one ? I checked the list of online retailers last night and none in the US had any. Are they tricky to come across ?
By nimbulan
There are a lot of online CP vendors, but they can be difficult to find, often showing up only after pages and pages of irrelevant search results. Thankfully, this forum keeps a list http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/the-l ... t8732.html but it is by no means exhaustive.
By HeliamphoraWalnut
Although I've never grown that one, the picture in the savage garden look amazing! Huge flowers! I've never bought pings from california carnivores, please keep us updated!
Grey, with you living in Canada, where do you get your pings? I see most growers here get them form cascade or california.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!