FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By hollyhock
I decided to move my smaller neps into a controlled environment. I found a 10 gallon aquarium for $7 on craiglist. I covered 3 sides with panda paper (white to the inside, black outside) I have a single T5 sunblaster light fixture on an adjustable stand. Light is positioned about 6-8 inches above the plants. I cut a piece of plexiglass for the top leaving it an inch or so short for ventilation. I filled the bottom of the aquarium with about an inch of distilled water. And thanks Chevyguy8893 I took your suggestion and ran a pump with an airstone to keep the water moving (hopefully prevents algae) Under the aquarium I placed a seedling warming mat which gives warmth and humidity. I have a small adjustable fan for air movement. I run a 14 hour photo period. The whole setup is on timers. I am getting mid 70° daytime temps. and the setup is in a spare room that faces north. I closed the heat register in the room to get the 10-15 drop in nighttime temperature. Humidity is 60%+. Thanks to everyone I used a little of this and that and my plants are flourishing... :D
Attachments:
Temp and humidity gauge
Temp and humidity gauge
IMG_20151007_142345_904.jpg (695.75 KiB) Viewed 8672 times
Adjustable fan
Adjustable fan
IMG_20151007_142357_863.jpg (685.3 KiB) Viewed 8672 times
Air stone
Air stone
IMG_20151007_142337_768.jpg (496.79 KiB) Viewed 8672 times
N.maxima and N.maxima x tenis
N.maxima and N.maxima x tenis
IMG_20151007_142313_565.jpg (647.13 KiB) Viewed 8672 times
2 N. Ventrosa
2 N. Ventrosa
IMG_20151007_142321_139.jpg (637.94 KiB) Viewed 8672 times
Small neps group shot
Small neps group shot
IMG_20151007_142249_093.jpg (501.23 KiB) Viewed 8672 times
Small nep terrarium
Small nep terrarium
IMG_20151007_150600_073.jpg (398.57 KiB) Viewed 8672 times
hollyhock liked this
By Silverchild0828
I really like this!

I see this post was done last year, so I guess I'd like to know how the set up is still working for you? (I saw in a different post that you have 3 different areas / setups :D )

I have 2 N. Lady Luck that are generally happy in open air, but by "generally happy" I mean actively growing leaves and no pitchers. So I'm stalking everyone else's terrariums to gauge if this will be my next project or not.

I will always be a VFT girl, but I'm really becoming enamored with the neps. Ideally I'd like to use a 10 gallon aquarium due to space limitations.
By hollyhock
It works so good that the neps are out growing it... :D Little terrariums are fun for a while, but you quickly run out of room... :lol:
I am learning that some neps will make pitchers in lower humidity, but some really need the extra moist heat and light to grow their pitchers.... I bought a small greenhouse at TCS for $20 and moved the whole setup onto one of the shelves...now they all are putting on great pitchers..
Attachments:
The terrarium is inside
The terrarium is inside
IMG_20160325_005744.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 8276 times
By Silverchild0828
You're such a savage! I have a feeling that once I get started, I'll eventually have more neps than available space.. At the moment I'm already trying to figure out more room for my increasing vfts! But if they're growing out of this set up, how are you improving the space by just moving it inside of the greenhouse? Oh and sorry, what is TCS? :)
By hollyhock
I bought it at a store called Tractor Supply Company. (TCS)...The greenhouse is 5ft high x 4ft wide x 2 ft deep. It has 4 shelves. The sunblaster T5 lights come in 4 ft lenghts and can all be connected to each other. So I lit each shelf.
I wanted to condense my small and medium neps. So now it is home to 20 neps, all my pygmy sundews, 100 vft seedlings, more sundews, and my sea monkeys.
It improved my space by giving me more space...for more plants :o
I am sure you understand.. :lol:
hollyhock liked this
By boarderlib
You'll have that filled up in no time. That's a good tip on the air stone too! You have to love lights that can be Daisy chained together. That was one of the big reasons I got the particular T5 I did( planning ahead on that one), that and I can flip a switch and run two or flip another and run all four.

Nice setup Hollyhock!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By Silverchild0828
Ah okay, that makes sense. (I couldn't see other plants on the lower shelves.) So in addition to your Nep setup you keep others in there in kind of less humidity because they're not in a tank but still a greengouse? Thanks for clarification on TCS! Now I'm wondering if I could keep my VFTs in a setup like this as well... Did you add fans or anything else to the general greenhouse itself? What type of climate do you live in? Sorry for so many questions, but you seem to know what you're doing! :)
By hollyhock
Now that's funny... :lol:
Yes I do have another fan to circulate air in the lower areas of the mini greenhouse...I take a lot of tips from growers WAY more experienced than myself. And if it is VFT's that you love they will always grow to their full potential if you can get used to the idea of having them outside...
I live in Michigan where there are a few challenges with the weather. But so far I have made it through the dreaded dormancy with my flytrap's. And soon out they all will go for the spring, summer, and fall..
hollyhock liked this
By Silverchild0828
I know, I've been meaning to move them outside so they can get more sunlight and bugs.. I'm just worried about water because it hasn't been raining much, and if I put them outside I'll be out there with my flashlight either in the early morning or night to water them, and I won't be able to monitor them as well overall. :'( Probably should've thought of that last year! Did you also buy your lights from TCS or somethere else?
By hollyhock
I thought it rained a lot in San Francisco? Anyway you could put them in a small tray of water if you are that concerned. I bought my lights at a hydroponics gardening store, because they have the best prices. Grow Green Michigan. is the name of the company. I don't know if you would save much when you add in shipping. I picked them up in person as they are located close to where I live..
hollyhock liked this
By Silverchild0828
Yes, you would think so!

I'm in the San Francisco area, but we've had an unusually warm and sunny spring - Still in a drought, and we can't tell if El Nino will happen or not. This past 12 months has generally been very dry. Or soaking / flooding rain for 2 days and then nothing. What can you do? haha! Is this the one you're talking about? I'm wondering if they don't carry the same one you bought anymore, because it doesn't look like a 4ft light would fit in this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... _vc=-10005

Thanks again!
By PlantManSam
Cool setup hollyhock!

I also recently bought a cheap walk-in greenhouse off ebay for $40 with intentions of moving my Nepenthes in, as they are outgrowing the 20g tank they're currently in. I quickly realized that the temperature control is a challenge as it gets baking hot during the day and quite cold at night inside the greenhouse, and the humidity is also tough to keep constant. Perhaps moving the plants in a terrarium onto one of the shelves is the answer, as you have done...
PlantManSam liked this
By Elocity
Very nice setup!

I am currently doing the same sort of mini-greenhouse with a 10-gallon aquarium, and I had a couple of questions. 1. Is it necessary to have a fan inside or is a small gap for ventilation sufficient? 2. What is that white, tic-tac-toe board-like material that you are resting your Neps on? I see it in many of these setups and I have no idea what it is D:

Thanks and good luck growing!

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!