FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By Gambit00
I was fortunate enough to order a Cephalotus from the Flytrap store, just wanted to leave a review of how happy I am with my purchase. Shipping was fast and the packaging of course expert. Matt & Leah were generous enough to give me 3 healthy little mounds:] not one dead pitcher in sight. These little guys look sturdy and I look forward to seeing them grow. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again. (Also there is still some in stock, I'm hoping someone buys them before I start asking family for an early birthday present lol) I've attached pictures, they are all taken with the flash on.
Lots of newspaper keeping everything snug (some removed)
Lots of newspaper keeping everything snug (some removed)
image.jpeg (762.33 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
Flytrap capsule
Flytrap capsule
image.jpeg (625.33 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
Everything in its place
Everything in its place
image.jpeg (701.85 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
My 3 little guys
My 3 little guys
image.jpeg (874.23 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
Another view, the smallest little guy has a bright purple pitcher hiding in the sphag:]
Another view, the smallest little guy has a bright purple pitcher hiding in the sphag:]
image.jpeg (760.61 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
Gambit00 liked this
By Gambit00
Right now mine are inside adjusting too, I was hoping to eventually grow my Cephs outside. But Last week it was 108-110 degrees in my part of California, this week is supposed to be high 90's
By Gambit00
Just wanted to do an update on my Flytrap store Cephs, the smallest Ceph didn't make it. I think due to some unidentified pests that I did an overall extermination on. The other 2 however are doing great. Compared to former pictures you can see all their new growth. I keep them in my sunniest window, water once a week, and keep a cut open sandwich bag over them to retain moisture.
Flytrap store Ceph update 9/2/16
Flytrap store Ceph update 9/2/16
image.jpeg (954.51 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
By Matt
Gambit00 wrote:keep a cut open sandwich bag over them to retain moisture.
Ditch the sandwich bag! Judging by the algae growth and shine on the moss, the top of the moss is staying way too wet. It should be dry most of the time. Cephalotus do not need high humidity, only to have easy access to moisture in the soil. We grow all of ours in ambient humidity (20%-30%). If the crown and foliage is kept too damp, problems with powdery mildew and crown rot will creep in eventually.

Good luck!
Matt liked this
By Benurmanii
Matt wrote:
Gambit00 wrote:keep a cut open sandwich bag over them to retain moisture.
Ditch the sandwich bag! Judging by the algae growth and shine on the moss, the top of the moss is staying way too wet. It should be dry most of the time. Cephalotus do not need high humidity, only to have easy access to moisture in the soil. We grow all of ours in ambient humidity (20%-30%). If the crown and foliage is kept too damp, problems with powdery mildew and crown rot will creep in eventually.

Good luck!
I second this. I grow my ceph with a top layer of large-grain sand that I got from Nauz without a terrarium under two 4 bulb T5 fixtures, and if I'm not careful with watering it can still get a bit of powdery mildew.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!