FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By HoovesOfDerp
Rather certain it's a fungal infection - which does not sound good to any degree, nor easy to deal with. It started on the "lips" (right under the cilia) of the traps, initially I thought it was a fungus that was possibly feeding on the excess fluids secreted by the traps to attract insects. However, it slowly started spreading to the leaves - and now has my attention and conern.

How would I remove the fungus from my plants?

Will I need to buy chemicals / anti-fungal substance?

How would I safely treat my plants without stressing or killing them?
By pieguy452
It could be a fungal infection, but I think i can see little tiny red specks in the photos, which would signify mites. It's hard to tell though, it could just be the picture.... Take a very close look at the leaves of your flytrap, can you see any little red specks?
By HoovesOfDerp
pieguy452 wrote:It could be a fungal infection, but I think i can see little tiny red specks in the photos, which would signify mites. It's hard to tell though, it could just be the picture.... Take a very close look at the leaves of your flytrap, can you see any little red specks?
I can't, only red / red colours on my plants are on the leaves and in the traps - tried gently scratching at them with my fingernail and they did not come off, it's just the colouration of the plant itself.
By pieguy452
Ok then yes it is probably some type of fungal infection. However, I don't think it is harmful. Your flytrap still looks very healthy. I know that sarracenia can develop the same black spots on the pitchers without any ill effect. The fungus is simply eating off the sweet nectar-like bait the pitchers are giving off.

Try spraying your flytrap with a fungicide to see if it allieveates the problem.
By HoovesOfDerp
pieguy452 wrote:Ok then yes it is probably some type of fungal infection. However, I don't think it is harmful. Your flytrap still looks very healthy. I know that sarracenia can develop the same black spots on the pitchers without any ill effect. The fungus is simply eating off the sweet nectar-like bait the pitchers are giving off.

Try spraying your flytrap with a fungicide to see if it allieveates the problem.
Do you have any recommendations for what to use for a fungicide?

Any special tips / requirements that might be needed for use on carnivorous plants?

I've never had to do this before, so I'm (a bit) worried I could screw up here and wind up poisioning my plants.
By pieguy452
I like to use ortho max garden disease control, safe on flytraps and works very well. Mix 2 tsp- 1 tbsp to a gallon of water and mist the enitire plant with the solution. Daconil is another fungicide that works as well.

One application should be enoug to rid of any infections the plant may have.
pieguy452 liked this
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!