FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Sakaaaaa
I was wondering if you can make vft salad or something... maybe you can fill pitcher plants with rice and then cook it? Or maybe drosera soup would be good... just curious...
By Grey
Nepenthes pitchers have been cleaned, steamed and filled with sticky coconut rice in some speciality restaurants (as well as by one of our adventurous members, there are photos somewhere on the forum), and Mexican Pinguicula leaves have also previously been used in milkshakes (for what benefit, I can't really say). As for Drosera, they have been used in herbal medicine as a tea for a while; the medical data suggests that sundews are great for treating asthma, bronchitis, whooping cough and arteriorsclerosis. In general, it helps relax the muscles that enable breathing so as to alleviate breathing difficulties, and also functions as a decent digestive aid. (I'm doing a diploma in herbology which is why I know this -- I thought it was awesome!)

There was a rumour that fly traps could produce an oil that was a "cure all", but I've not seen any medical data whatsoever on it. I don't think they'd be harmful to eat, just perhaps not entirely pleasant.
By nimbulan
I believe filling Nepenthes pitchers with rice is actually a fairly common practice where they grow natively. It's basically the same as stuffed grape leaves.
By silverfly
That would be one dang expensive salad, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!