FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Alex2893
I bought these two nepenthe's at my local nursery. I believe they are Nepenthes Ventrata. My first question is should I repot them into a better mix and a bigger pot? Also is a mix of LFSM mixed with perlite and pine bark be a good media? Im new to this. The shoot on plant two is falling over. Is that ok or should it be supported? I want to make sure I grow these as best I can?

(Plant 1)
Image20160528_101312 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
Image20160528_101323 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(Plant 2)
Image20160528_101501 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
Image20160528_101513 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
By Alex2893
I repotted the smaller one with LFSM and perlite mixed with some bark. IT was potted in pure peat moss and it was like a brick. It was so so so hard to remove the peat moss. Im sure I broke a few roots and i could not even get all the peat moss out but I got most of it. Let me know if this was a good potting job and will It go into stress from the repot? The bigger one im going to find a larger pot im going to steak up the vine

Image20160528_205115 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
Image20160528_205100 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
By Alvin 415
Alex2893 wrote:IT was potted in pure peat moss and it was like a brick. It was so so so hard to remove the peat moss. Im sure I broke a few roots and i could not even get all the peat moss out but I got most of it. Let me know if this was a good potting job and will It go into stress from the repot?
It is easier to remove the soil if you saturate the peat with water, then use a gentle spray to rinse all the loose peat away.

Yes, it will be stressed from the repot, but it'll likely bounce back quickly.

FWIW, I left my N. ventrata growing in the original 100% peat for about 2 years.

I recently repotted in peat with lava rock added for drainage and air. This plant would be bigger, but I've taken vine cuttings from it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!