FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Alex2893
I have about 10 or so pots of fly traps at my new apartment . The rest are at home in my greenhouse. I can leave them outside here at my appt but im on the ground floor and my little porch is right next to the parking lot so I worry every day someone is going to steal them. So I figured I try an Led grow light. I Looked at a lot of grow lights and this one cough my eye. I git it today and I set up a temporary set up until i can get metal shelving. I have the light 14 inches above the plants ans im measuring around 10,000 on my light meter at plant level. My question is the enough light because i went out and metered the sun and it was 82,000 on my meter and thats 5pm sun. Let me know if i should bright the light closer to the plants. I also have a small fan on low very lightly blowing air across the plants.

Image20160519_170442 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
By Alex2893
hackerberry wrote:Wow, that is more than enough for your plants. Some LEDs may look less bright but the usable light is more than conventional lightings.

hb

do you think i should lower my plants? Is to much light a bad thing? or is this extra good? Im out of my element with artificial lighting
By nimbulan
Does the light look very purple/pink? It's hard to tell from the picture. If that's the case your light meter won't help you much since the values won't be comparable to sunlight.

For white light I'd recommend 15k lux as a bare minimum, but for purple/pink light I'm sure 10k is more than enough.

Just keep an eye on your plants, see how they react to the light, and adjust accordingly.
By Alex2893
yup its like a light pink color. it plays tricks on my eyes. after looking at the pink light for awhile you dont even notice the pink anymore then when you look at a normal 4000k cfl the color looks so off for a few seconds. then when you go back to looking at the pick led light it looks pink again. its strange
By hackerberry
If you see that the tips are turning black, it's probably from the shock. The plant will tell either it is receiving more or less light. From what I see, it looks good.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!