FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Abeginner
So I think my heliamphora has spider mites maybe, this is my first time having a problem like this..... what do I need to get to kill them?
Thanks for any help you can give me..Image

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk
By Abeginner
Yes just on that plant itself though.. I thought it was from my lights .. my other heliamphora was right beside it and I was trying to figure out why it was only one one ... now I know ... thanks

By Dematerialize
Matt wrote:Those do look like spider mites and eggs. Do you notice any pest damage?

This product works best for us:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/avid-miticide

I second this. I've used Avid when I had a spider mite infestation last summer and they were gone in a few weeks. Better than most other insecticides and all the iffy 'options' like neem oil and other 'gentle' methods that barely do anything to mites.
By Nauz
Back in 2012ish I used neem oil on some sundews. Kind of worked but recently bought a few utricularia from someone and it contained aphids and spider mites so I used neem oil first with no success. Then avid was used and only had to use it once. Killed most of the moss too, great stuff :P
By Abeginner
As soon as I can buy some I'm getting it ... thank you. I'm watching the other 3-4 plants for them but there's no sign of them on new growth or under the leaves .. is there any other way that I can check those plants for the mites

By Nauz
A strong loupe and you can just watch the soil for their webs and they move vary slow.
By Abeginner
Okay, sad thing is, I haven't seen webs ... I've always looked for them because of this fear, but dang.. they really tore this plant up bad!! I'll keep my eyes open and keep checking! Thanks.

By Nauz
Yeah if they move vary slow they for sure spider mites. I believe the good mites are a bit faster and eat spider mites?
By Abeginner
So I've just placed an order for the miticidid that Matt recommended and just yesterday I've noticed they're now on my other heliamphora:( .. my question is, will the new growth be okay and back to normal or are they doing more damage than what I can see?

By Matt
Abeginner wrote:my question is, will the new growth be okay and back to normal or are they doing more damage than what I can see?
Any growth that is damaged, will not return to normal. But almost immediately after spraying, the damage will stop and any new growth will be fine.

Be sure to spray at least 2 times, about 3 to 5 days apart for maximum effectiveness.
By Abeginner
Alright thanks for the help.. i can't wait to get it and get to spraying.. these little guys are damaging!!

By Abeginner
Thanks Matt for getting the miticide shipped so quickly, it'll be here today.. here's a couple pics of the damage to my heliamphora. Obviously one worst than the other, it took me a while to diagnose the problem.

By Matt
Abeginner wrote:Thanks Matt for getting the miticide shipped so quickly, it'll be here today.
You're welcome. Hopefully USPS doesn't have any hiccups and you can get the Avid on the plants today.

If you have any sort of mask to wear when spraying, I'd highly recommend doing so. That stuff messes with my respiratory system if I don't wear a mask. And, of course, be sure to spray it in a well-ventilated area (outside).
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!