FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
nesler wrote:What else are you culturing right now?
I've got quite a few things going right now: Czech Giant, Petite Dragon, Fang, Sawtooth, Jaws, Pink Venus, Vigorous, Burbank's Best, and Red Piranha are the named cultivars that I have established. It looks like I'll probably have a Fine Tooth X Red going too, but it's not taking too well.

I think I'm more excited about the seeds that I got from Steve_D last year and this year. I have a ton of red plants of varying intensity that look awesome. I also got a couple of really yellow plants from those seeds. I replated all of them yesterday and today and it's amazing how large they are now. I'll upload some photos of them soon.

I deflasked a few of those seedlings yesterday too. I'll probably start selling them as well. I'll just sell them by the pot. Each pot has about 8 to 15 plants in it that are the equivalent of 2 to 3 year olds. Some of them look quite awesome too. Their heritage is from all of the clones that Steve grows at the flytrapranch, so they're quite varied.
nesler wrote:Perhaps you should work on culturing things that are difficult to culture, or haven't been successfully cultured (such as wacky traps). Something that is more of a challenge, and won't present a quantity problem. Any ideas besides Wacky Traps? Maybe B52s, as those are in chronically short supply. Or hell, there are other cultivars that aren't well known, due to a lack of supply. Maybe you have some ideas...
Yeah, I'm going to try to get every clone I own established in TC. Wacky Traps is definitely at the top of my list followed very closely by B52. B52 should be relatively easy to get going in TC because it's such a vigorous grower. If I had known this spring what I know now, I'd have it going in TC. Next spring is going to be great for TC for me. I learned a ton this year about which parts of the plant to use, how to keep them clean, how to sterilize and what media to use.
nesler wrote:But yes, keep me on your short list. :D
I've been working my tail off trying to get the store up and running. I'm getting close now, but unfortunately things keep coming up that pull me away. I should have it going within the next month and I'll be able to sell plants all year because I'll be bringing them out of TC and hardening them off throughout the year. So if people want a nice healthy VFT in the winter, they can have one. Great thing about them coming out of TC is that they have no idea what time of year it is, so you can grow them under lights or in a windowsill until spring comes and then you can get them into their regular seasonal routine.
By hackerberry
Awesome Matt, Best of luck on your TC and the store! Also can't wait to get my TC going. Still waiting for my B52 and Cephs in TC to strike.

hb
By Matt
hackerberry wrote:Awesome Matt, Best of luck on your TC and the store! Also can't wait to get my TC going. Still waiting for my B52 and Cephs in TC to strike.

hb
Best of luck to you with the B52 and Ceph tissue Jun. If you get them going, those are definitely two plants that many people will want!
By hackerberry
Yey! I just wish they strike. If not, that's ok coz it's already the end of growing season. I'll be definitely busy the next Spring.

hb
By Matt
Yeah, I hear you on the busy part next spring. I'm already feeling a little overwhelmed and most of my cultures are just ramping up now. I've been doing TC 3 days a week for a couple of hours each day. This is probably going to turn into a 7 day a week thing by next spring.
By hackerberry
Haha, I'm having the same problem. I don't know where to pot all my Ex-Vitro plants. D. Regia and Pings are next on the list.

hb
By nesler
Matt wrote:Yeah, I'm having the same problem finding space for the ex-vitro guys. I just keep taking over more of my office with grow lights. Next is the garage!
I shall do my best to save your garage. ;)
By Matt
nesler wrote:
Matt wrote:Yeah, I'm having the same problem finding space for the ex-vitro guys. I just keep taking over more of my office with grow lights. Next is the garage!
I shall do my best to save your garage. ;)
Hah, thanks Nesler!
Not what you would expect...

The guy who lived across from me has an electric[…]

You live in Siberia??? :shock:

I don't know about proven, but I've kept mine seal[…]

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!