FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Gry
Hi.

sorry if this thread is in the wrong area, but I'm curious about the frail trigger-plant (stylidium debile.)

I know this plant produces digestive enzymes and such, but does this plant absorb the nutrients from its "prey"?

I only want a simple answer: Yes or no, and why you say yes or no.
By Leathal_Traps
I'm pretty sure it doesn't produce digestive enzymes.It has a moving hammer on its flower to attach pollen to any insects that pass by. Correct me if I'm wrong since I am not 100% sure.
By Gry
Leathal_Traps wrote:I'm pretty sure it doesn't produce digestive enzymes.It has a moving hammer on its flower to attach pollen to any insects that pass by. Correct me if I'm wrong since I am not 100% sure.
Ah, that's alright :) But I've seen on many sites where they say it produces digestive enzymes though.
By KissMegan
I remember reading a long time ago, I think Maiden did a study in feeding his Stylidium debile and not feeding the others. The ones he fed grew faster. Also I think when I was digging around a long time ago it was decided it's carnivorous after some university did a study. This is all what I remember reading from maybe 2 years ago though so take it with a grain of salt haha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
KissMegan liked this
By Gry
KissMegan wrote:I remember reading a long time ago, I think Maiden did a study in feeding his Stylidium debile and not feeding the others. The ones he fed grew faster. Also I think when I was digging around a long time ago it was decided it's carnivorous after some university did a study. This is all what I remember reading from maybe 2 years ago though so take it with a grain of salt haha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ah, that is very helpful and interesting, thank you!
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!