FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By goldslinger
I searched the forums, but couldn't find anything on the subject.

I have in the past successfully (somewhat) cultivated VFT'S, Sars, and Pings under 4- 40watt flourescent bulbs approx. 10" above the plants.

The VFT'S were pretty good, but I think overwatering for the conditions, and too cool of temperatures had something to do with fungal problems and a certain lack of overall 'hardiness.' I would adjust the lighting times with Nature to induce dormancy, btw.

I know that there is no substitute for Out of Doors, but in Tornado alley, We get everything, Hail, high winds, torrential rains, etc. and I'm not always home to put them inside when such events occurr.

Our awnings on the house are too big to let direct Sun into our home in the Summer especially.

I can't afford a green house right now.

For indoors, Do some people put heating pads under the trays or should I simply go with halide lighting to help with raising the temperatures to where VFT'S like. I know they thrive in warm temps AND tons of light.

Which lighting system is better for photsynthesis? My 4 flourescent setup with the proper bulbs, or a good metal halide bulb of equal wattage as the 4 tube system?

Thanks !

Gary
By hackerberry
Hi goldslinger,

A lot of VFT growers have great success with T8, T5 and LED lighting. They put out more lumens the the big T12 bulbs. I have the greatest success with LEDs.

hb
By goldslinger
I like the idea of the LED'S, do You know what colors of led's work best for VFT'S and a source?

Also, what type bulbs for flourescents do You use? I have two different types in my set up, warm and shoplight.

So the smaller t-5's work better; that's interesting.
By goldslinger
Well, after alot of research I went with the High Output T5 4 foot, 4 bulb system for My VFT'S.

3 bulbs at 6500K, and 1 bulb at 3,000K.

I thought I would have to buy heating mats for my basement plants, but not with the heat these put out.

I've had pretty good success growing them under the standard T-12's, but I think these things which are 2 to 300% brighter for only 54 Watts per bulb are going to give heartier plants, I suspect.

Will bump this thread at a later date when I see how it goes. :D
By twigs
Gold,
I'm not familiar with Garden City, but I would say you would still have better luck growing outside. How long are you gone for? If its weeks at a time, I can see the need for protection, but if you are only gone for like a week at a time, check the weather channel before you leave to see if a storm is coming.

I don't have much experience growing indoors, but I don't think you will find a person here that would tell you growing under lights is anywhere near as effective as growing outdoors. Maybe I'm wrong though.
By hackerberry
Very good choice goldslinger, T5s are one of my favorite second to LEDs. I use daylight color for my sun loving CPs [VFTs, Cephs, Helis] and Mix Blue and Red for my tropical CPs [Neps, Sundews, etc].

hb
By goldslinger
I bought another unit for a narrower shelf; and it is a 2 bulb unit; I put 6500k on both of them; will they still get coloration in the traps?

I'm thinking it would, but do You think it would be better to put a 3000k red spectrum in it?
It doesn't get any Sunlight to supplement it at all.

Gary
By goldslinger
twigs wrote:Gold,
I'm not familiar with Garden City, but I would say you would still have better luck growing outside. How long are you gone for? If its weeks at a time, I can see the need for protection, but if you are only gone for like a week at a time, check the weather channel before you leave to see if a storm is coming.

I don't have much experience growing indoors, but I don't think you will find a person here that would tell you growing under lights is anywhere near as effective as growing outdoors. Maybe I'm wrong though.
I do have about 24 VT'S outside, but in Western, KS it is do at Your own risk. Hail, very high winds, thunderstorms, squirrels, temps well over 100 with low humidity, etc.

I just don't want the whole collection outside and I've had good luck for years now even with the old T-12 BULBS (just have to have them very close).

I also like to look at and study the plants in Air conditioned comfort,
I could go on and on. . .
By goldslinger
I thought I would update this thread with my Good Luck with My new lighting system for indoors on VFT'S of many varieties.

I am using a 4 bulb, 4 foot T5 HIGH OUTPUT fixture with 4 = 6,500 Kelvin lamps. They are 54Watts each x 4.
Brand is TEK LIGHT made in Germany.

The key word is High Output as they are not 20 or 50% brighter, they are 2 to 300% brighter than the standard T12'S !

I am gonna post some pics soon to show You just how compact and hardened the Deep burgandy red dragons, and Green dragons are !

I have the fixture about 14 inches above currently. They recommend a little higher, but I opted to leave it there and opt for only a 12 hour photoperiod, as My basement is rather cool, and this helps bring up the soil temperature perfectly.
When I opt to induce dormancy, I will raise it 4 inches and shorten the photoperiod gradually.

As far as heat, they put out about twice as much as the standard fixtures, but FAR, FAR less than Halides.
If You touch a bulb, You will say ouch, but You won't smell burning flesh like Halides. They won't explode either.

I like the uniformity of light from bulb end to end. I have plants end to end and see no difference in coloration or growth patterns. The light is also very penetrating.

Pics to come when I figure out how to load them. Do I need to go to Photobucket or something first then put the url here?

OKAY FIGURED IT OUT.

The top shelf is the standard T-12 and the bottom shelf is the new system.
Some Divisions growing good; Red Dragons I believe
Green Dragon Division with a Spring or Fall Rosette, a flower stalk will tell which one.

I got these from Steve in July and divided them yet again recently; have tripled My collection since the purchase.
By goldslinger
Thank You !

Most of My collection is outside or at My office at work !

pics to come of that, too. :D
By Veronis
goldslinger wrote:I thought I would update this thread with my Good Luck with My new lighting system for indoors on VFT'S of many varieties.

I am using a 4 bulb, 4 foot T5 HIGH OUTPUT fixture with 4 = 6,500 Kelvin lamps. They are 54Watts each x 4.
Brand is TEK LIGHT made in Germany.
That kind of light for planted terrariums has a good reputation (teklight). :)

Looks like you've got it down, that'll deliver all the light your plants need. Is the teklight on the bottom rack?

6500K was the way to go for leaf/trap growth. I'm not sure if 6500K alone will let them flower (anyone know?)...read the "red light" and "blue light" sections here: http://www.riverled.com.cn/news/news08.html

I'm currently seeing how my few indoor plants will do under this light. Eventually I want a setup like yours.
By goldslinger
I've read something to that affect as well, I've got some 3,200K bulbs in storage; i think just one in the center might work, but yea,for now I just wanted growth as every single plant in the pics was a division several months ago. DID NOT LOSE but one single cutting out of dozens, but it's rhyzome was mostly black anyway.

as promised, here is My setup at My office at work with a 2 bulb 4 ft. HO system

a little closer

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!