FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By zoliky
Hello, my Venus flytraps came out of dormancy two months ago. The older leaves got sunburned, however they push out new growth all the time. The flytraps receive 4-6 hours of direct sunlight for over a month now.

Something that worries me and I can't figure out, the new leaf look a little yellowish, but the middle of the leaf has a darker green line than the edge of the leaf. Is this normal for flytraps?

The black spots are sunburns, and the yellowish edges are more noticable on the very old leaves which are ready to die off.

The yellowish edges stay yellowish for 4-5 weeks, they don't tend to turn black overnight. The flytraps were potted in 50:50 nutrient-free peat/perlite last fall.

I would be grateful for any suggestion.
Attachments:
IMG_3274.jpg
IMG_3274.jpg (573.72 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
IMG_3273.jpg
IMG_3273.jpg (788.27 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
By chazzbo77
Your medium looks a bit dry to me. What is your watering schedule like? And I am sure you are using pure water (distilled, RO/DI, rainwater, etc.), correct?
By zoliky
I'm watering with rain water. It looks dry on the surface but it's moist inside, the pots are about 5 inches deep. I use a bamboo stick to check if the peat sticks or lift the pot to check the weight before watering.
By edman007
Honestly, looks like not enough water, VFTs like more water than most plants. It sounds like you water when it starts to get dry, most people prefer the tray method, that is you water it until it can't take anymore water (the try fills up with water), as soon as the try is not full of water you need to water it more. VFTs like a lot more water than most plants.
By zoliky
Different people have different opinions. I read the instructions on the flytrapcare webpage, and I'm sure I water it correctly. Not everyone prefers the tray method. I top water my plants, it's better to flush out possible minerals, and when dealing with long (almost five inches roots) I don't think watering like crazy is necessary.
Last edited by zoliky on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
zoliky liked this
By Earthy
I agree with you on this. you don't want the top to stay wet all the time; that can lead to crown rot and fungus infections. In nature the top of the soil isn't always wet (except after it rains); it's actually dry to about an inch down.
By zoliky
I'll try to rinse and gently microwave my pots next time. Maybe they release something into the soil (the dye they used to color them or something like that). Although, as far as I know plastic pots are perfectly safe. I forgot to rinse them last time I potted.
Attachments:
pots.jpg
pots.jpg (8.96 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
By Matt
Dryness doesn't appear to be an issue to me. The yellowing looks to be from old traps dying off. The new traps look quite green and healthy. I don't see anything to be concerned about.
Matt, Matt liked this
By Earthy
Matt wrote:Dryness doesn't appear to be an issue to me. The yellowing looks to be from old traps dying off. The new traps look quite green and healthy. I don't see anything to be concerned about.
I agree with Matt. Pretty much all my new leaves look a little "yellowish" green on the leaf margins....and darker green on the main leaf vein. It's not really a yellowish though, it's more bright lime green lol...well right now my Jaws looks pinkish on the leaf margins because she has a small pink tan lol :P

Just remember....dry top of soil does not mean dry medium underneath. Just saying lol...I only let the top inch get drier though before watering :)
By chazzbo77
Earthy wrote:
Matt wrote:Dryness doesn't appear to be an issue to me. The yellowing looks to be from old traps dying off. The new traps look quite green and healthy. I don't see anything to be concerned about.
I agree with Matt. Pretty much all my new leaves look a little "yellowish" green on the leaf margins....and darker green on the main leaf vein. It's not really a yellowish though, it's more bright lime green lol...well right now my Jaws looks pinkish on the leaf margins because she has a small pink tan lol :P

Just remember....dry top of soil does not mean dry medium underneath. Just saying lol...I only let the top inch get drier though before watering :)
Your new leaves look yellowish? Interesting. Matt was saying that the old growth looks yellow, not the new growth. Usually, new growth on my plants has the deepest green/red pigments, not yellow.
By Earthy
It's more of a lime green color....looks like a yellow-green. Not straight yellow lol...but then some leaves are coming out reddish...all the leaves are healthy so I don't think I need to worry. It could just be a mild "tan" lol
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!