FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Bhart90
I want to acclimate my sundew and butterworts out of the terrarium to outside and indoor rooms? How do you use it? And what's it look like, and how long did it take for you to be completely successful? Thank you!
By TS 1989
If I am not wrong, get a tray, put some stones on it, fill it with water. Put the pot on the stones and make sure the pot is above the water.

But then most of us just get a tray and fill it with water and then submerge half of the pot height in. Honestly, I don't see any difference.
TS 1989 liked this
By tommyr
For my Sundews they just sit in about an inch or less of water. From fall to summer I water my butterworts when the start to get dry. This year when it starts getting hot I'll try sitting those in about a half inch of water. Well, maybe just a few of them to test it out.
tommyr liked this
By edman007
TS 1989 wrote:If I am not wrong, get a tray, put some stones on it, fill it with water. Put the pot on the stones and make sure the pot is above the water.
The pot needs to be in the water, the point is that the water touches the peat at the bottom of the pot, you have 5-8 inches of peat mix above the water, that will wick up the water and get the right moisture level.

I personally use a custom made planter (acrylic) with a spot that lets me water at the bottom but it otherwise has no tray or drain. I just water whenever I don't see anything in the bottom.
By TS 1989
edman007 wrote:
TS 1989 wrote:If I am not wrong, get a tray, put some stones on it, fill it with water. Put the pot on the stones and make sure the pot is above the water.
The pot needs to be in the water, the point is that the water touches the peat at the bottom of the pot, you have 5-8 inches of peat mix above the water, that will wick up the water and get the right moisture level.

I personally use a custom made planter (acrylic) with a spot that lets me water at the bottom but it otherwise has no tray or drain. I just water whenever I don't see anything in the bottom.
Isn't he referring to the humidity tray? He mentioned about acclimating and I don't see anything in relation between moisture level and acclimatizing.
By tommyr
TS 1989 wrote: Isn't he referring to the humidity tray? He mentioned about acclimating and I don't see anything in relation between moisture level and acclimatizing.
Sounds like a self watering African Violet pot to me.
By evenwind
I grow solely under lights. I put an inch or so of water in each tray and wait until the medium (NZS) absorbs as much as it's going to, maybe 4 or 5 hours. For VFTs, I then dump the water out of the tray. (My two trays of Pings and Sundews get to stay wet.) The process is repeated every 6 days, which, in my conditions, allows the VFTs to get almost dry and the Ping/Sundew trays to always have at least some water in them. Occasionally, I top water to flush the pots but this usually causes a lot of traps to close, so I don't do it often.

Don't know if that's the official definition of "tray method" but it works for me.
By Bhart90
edman007 wrote:

I wanna see a pic of that bad boy us tom planter haha
By Bhart90
TS 1989 wrote:
edman007 wrote:

Isn't he referring to the humidity tray? He mentioned about acclimating and I don't see anything in relation between moisture level and acclimatizing.
Yea I mean I AM referring to the humidity, but if I can figure out away to get moisture IN the planter as well..... I'll take what I can get
By Earthy
The only plants I use the tray method with are my sundews and Sarrs. Flytraps: no way unless it's hot and sunny outside...I mainly top-water those to get fresh oxygen into the root area...
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!