FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Pickles6
I use sphagnum peat moss now. It's from miracle-gro! My mom has some regular potting mix from them.
By Nickrober
Pickles6 wrote:I use sphagnum peat moss now. It's from miracle-gro! My mom has some regular potting mix from them.
Your plant has death in its near future.
By KayEhm
Sphagnum moss has always worked perfectly fine for me, just be aware that since it retains water so well, you want to make sure it's not too moist that's all. I've used sphagnum moss for years and have always had success with my plants.
By Alex2893
Anymal911 wrote:Dang.........
BTW I actually use LFS for EVERYTHING and it works great lol.
Wow everyones view point back then on just lfsm was way different then now.
By Jhereg
Hi!

I've got a quick question regarding sphagnum moss.

I've recently purchased a flytrap from a hardware store. It came in a tiny pot filled completely with the long moss y'all are talking about.

I've ordered a good mix of carnivorous plant soil from a reliable grower, but it probably won't get to me for another week. In the meantime, I realized today that I might be overwatering my plant because the moss just stays so wet. I took the flytrap out of the pot and discovered that the moss was packed VERY tightly in there.

I loosened the moss and gently squeezed water out of the chunks that fell away from the plant, then tried to put the plant back in the pot. But I couldn't get all of the moss back in! I threw away about 1/3 of the moss, and then was able to get it back in there.

My question is, is it OK if the moss is fairly loose around the plant, or was it supposed to be tightly packed?

While I wait for the soil to arrive I'll try not to overwater, and hope I haven't damaged the plant during today's desaturating :/
By Tryner78
yellowjacket7 wrote:Wow... This post was made in 2009. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Almost 10 years ago now, in 2017. I'm thinking I will need to repot my sarracenia and VFT's, since something is going wrong with the soil. I do not know why, it was fine for the last few months but now... boom, it smells and the plants are slowing down. Does this look ok? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FK ... 0DER&psc=1
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!