Watering

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps
jozilla

Watering

by jozilla » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:02 am

Hello, i just repotted my plant into a bigger pot. I water my plant by filling the bottom tray with water, but because I just repotted it, the peat moss just soaked up all the water. Should I keep adding more water?? and how do I know if i added enough water, and that the peat moss isn't just soaking it all in, and I'm killing it by over watering??

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Watering

by Matt » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:10 am

You can set the pot in a tray of water. Let it soak up as much as it can and then dump the rest of the water or let the tray dry out. Then add more water in a few days. The soil should be moist at all times, but never wet.
My Growlist
Eat Plants! Leave the meat for our pet plants :)

Siannuro

by Siannuro » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:14 am

jozilla wrote:Hello, i just repotted my plant into a bigger pot. I water my plant by filling the bottom tray with water, but because I just repotted it, the peat moss just soaked up all the water. Should I keep adding more water?? and how do I know if i added enough water, and that the peat moss isn't just soaking it all in, and I'm killing it by over watering??

In my opinion, it is best to top water. It refreshes the plant and you will know when to stop. That would be as soon as the water starts filling the tray. Like Matt said, keep it moist and not wet.

~G'luck!

goldslinger

by goldslinger » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:32 pm

I grow the majority indoors, in 2 1/2 inch pots, so I definately bottom water so the rhyzome isn't exposed to soggy conditions even for a minute. Water displaces air which induces anerobic bacteria.

If You bottom water, the lower roots get the water and are soggy, but the upper portions of the peat just stays moist which is all I want in the air conditioned house.

Then, I let is almost, almost get dry, then bottom water again. This, too helps air get deeper into the medium, refreshing it.

There is another reason for bottom watering. If You top water all the time, You leach the medium of it's acidic 'Tea' which has anticeptic properties and the low ph that these plants enjoy.

I top water just after repotting to get rid of any excesses from the repotting, then bottom water from then on out.

To each His/Her own, though.
The Beatings will continue until Morale improves!

Return to Venus Fly Trap Care Questions