FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Rtmozingo
Just bought two beautiful Cobra Lilies from Phil at man-eating-plant.com and man are they stunning. Sadly, the hot Texas sun scorched the big pitchers, so I'm slowly losing them, but the new traps coming up are still looking great.

EDIT: Whoops, thought I put this in Pitcher plants but I suppose I didn't. Maybe a mod could move it for me?
Attachments:
20160402_154923.jpg
20160402_154923.jpg (422.11 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
20160402_154941.jpg
20160402_154941.jpg (418.12 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Last edited by Rtmozingo on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rtmozingo, Rtmozingo liked this
By Rtmozingo
20" I believe (at least 18" for sure). I was blown away as well.

He says on his care instructions that Cobras grown in more direct, hot sunlight will be smaller with better coloration, whereas more indirect, cool light will cause bigger pitchers. I reckon they won't be that big from here on out due to the Texas heat I'll be dealing with (similar to your growing conditions). It will be interesting to see how the plants react to my growing conditions.

I also potted one in straight LFS, and one in pure peat, so hopefully I'll be able to compare how the two plants do in different mediums.
By nimbulan
Phil uses 100% peat for most of his plants if I remember right, since it will stay wet longer than other mixes and Darlingtonia are just fine with dense, anaerobic soil.

Very nice plants! Looks like you have a flower coming up on the first one too.
By Rtmozingo
He does. It was more for the experiment than anything else, since he gave me a really good deal. I more or less got the second plant free, and while I obviously want it to grow well, I did want to see how the two soil mediums compared. I only use LFSM for my VFTs now, and I think I'm going to try to use it on the majority of my plants provided they do alright in it. We'll see.

Good eye! It was shipped with a flower, which was (I thought) dead when I got it. On the third morning, I went out and it was standing up and looking good, so I got excited. Sadly, when I came home after work I found my plant to be sunburned (flower wilted again). Sadly, it didn't recover after another day, so I cut it up and buried the pieces to see if I can get some more plants out of it. Here's hoping. Very disappointing tho, I wish I had remembered to harden it first, but Texas weather is all over the place and I didn't even think of it.
By Astral_Revenant
Those cobra lilies are beasts! :o I bought two from Phil. First one is goner, probably, but I haven't given up. Second, is doing okay. Both growing outside in a plastic tote bin set-up that Phil suggested. ;) Didn't know they grow bigger in in-direct light. Interesting to know. Well, have fun growing those lovely monsters. :mrgreen:
By Rtmozingo
Thanks! Keep at it - everything he suggests seems to indicate they are very hardy plants. He also said ones that he has had die down to the roots have come back to be the most spectacular plants. I'm just hoping I don't kill mine XD
By camsdad66
Hi, Rtmozingo
Know it's an older post, but was wondering how your Cobras are doing? I ordered some from Phil, expecting them toward end of this week. Hoping to grow them in the Louisiana heat!

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!