FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bradari
how do i propagate cephs roots?
All i have left of my hope are 2 healthyish looking roots. so im gona try my luck at getting something to happen with them

so best way to do it?
By benastyy
I got some root hormones (great white) I bought one but they send me two of them, it's a 1oz. Bottle that might help... Dm me for more info if your interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Leathal_Traps
Actually great white is not a root hormone. It is a mixture of beneficial bacteria and fungi that form a Mycorrhizal relationship.

Cephalotus can not grow from roots, but they can grow back from rhizomes.
By Bradari
This is all that's left of hope. I have put her pot outside with the vft's will leave her there keep her watered and maybe with some luck she might come back.
I have read many places that cephs can grow from root cuttings? And do come back from their roots.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
By Leathal_Traps
partisangardener wrote:It’s a often told myth that you can’t grow Cephalotus from root cuttings.
What you pictured is not a root cutting, it is a rhizome cutting. In the picture you can even see the root coming out of the rhizome, and that is not where the plants are growing from.
By partisangardener
We had this discussion here too. This is clearly a root. Rhizomes are not thicker roots, what the stuff in the picture from Bradari is. They have scaly structures which are special leafs usually without green color(after they died they have a papery structure or leave in the end scars) The rhizome with Cephalotus is usually white to light brown with aging in color . Roots brown with a significant structure.
A root may grow rhizomes out of it, but never changes while thickenig into a rhizome.

Fastest is in a box with live Sphagnum with artificial lighting (at least after a small sprout has emerged).
Like this
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.ph ... opic=56771

Though it’s in this case, pitchers which are used for propagation. Not that somebody wants to say this is no root.;)
Last edited by partisangardener on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Bradari
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:Leathal traps. than how come i propagated about 5 cephs from root cuttings? Have you done it? :? It even says you can in the savage garden.
Please tell me the best way to propagate them?
i have the pot outside in full sun with my VFT's at the moment, kepping moist but not to wet or dry. should i just stick to that?
By Bradari
partisangardener wrote:We had this discussion here too. This is clearly a root. Rhizomes are not thicker roots, what the stuff in the picture from Brdari is. They have scaly structures which are special leafs usually without green color(after they died they have a papery structure or leave in the end scars) The rhizome with Cephalotus is usually white to light brown with aging in color . Roots brown with a significant structure.
A root may grow rhizomes out of it, but never changes while thickenig into a rhizome.

Fastest is in a box with live Sphagnum with artificial lighting (at least after a small sprout has emerged).
Like this
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.ph ... opic=56771

Though it’s in this case, pitchers which are used for propagation. Not that somebody wants to say this is no root.;)

So im confused do i have roots or a rhizome?
i have the pot outside in full sun keeping moist but not to wet or dry. should i be doing something different? i dont have spag now and i dont want to uproot it again. wanted to add that there is no part of it above soil at the moment would that be an issue? should i put it in the window rather that gets 5 hours of sun a day?
By partisangardener
It is biological a root. Just like the one I showed in the link. .
The way I showed is surly faster as the way you try it. But it is your Cephalotus und always handling it again is the worst method.
You will read a lot of advice which are basically a myth. If somebody grows them with success for many years his method might not be bad, but usually there are very successful growers which do all the no-go stuff and succeed. So the explanation for success is very often faulty.

In this picture are roots and rhizomes
http://www.foxoles.dsl.pipex.com/Resour ... 1AF4B9.jpg
The reddish part is a root the lighter parts with triangular scaly dead leafs at the outside is the rhizomepart.
A carrot is a root, ginger is a rhizome. Both store energy for the plant.

@ lethal traps the thin root grows out of the thick root. Thats what usually thin roots do. It can grow out of a rhizome too and after some time it will be a thick root like the one shown. A thin root has normally not enough energy to grow a new rhizome, so a thick root is better. Even carrots habe thin roots in the ground.;)
By SFLguy
benastyy wrote:
SFLguy wrote:Image
That it does

Says rhizome and roots, not just roots
And continues on to say that you can cut them into 1 or 2 inch segments and plant them. If it couldn't be just the root, Peter would've clarified that

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!