FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Rymah
i got a couple on this topic.

1. Brita water filter Yes or no
2. my plant came in a pot that has no hole at the bottom is top feeding ok or should i change the pot?

and i quick question about dormancy,
rite now it is -10 C out side i noe i have to keep the plant between 0 and 10 how can i do this My garage is the same temp as out side and get no sun. it can get down to -22c out side where should i put my plant!??

Regards,

Rymah
By Matt
Brita water filters take out some of the dissolved solids, but not enough to make water acceptable for carnivorous plants. The only kind of filter that does that is a reverse osmosis unit.

It's fine to water it from the top, but you have to be very careful with a pot that doesn't have drainage holes in the bottom. It would be very easy to over water your plant and give it root rot. I would transplant it in the spring time to a plastic pot with drainage holes.

If you can't find a good place to put your plant for dormancy, you could just try a cool windowsill. Do you have any windows that are drafty and stay cool?
By Rymah
yea i have it in a big east facing window now but it is still about 50-55 f in there. would melted snow be ok?
By Matt
50-55°F is fine for dormancy. If it were a little cooler, that'd be even better, but 50-55 will work fine.

Yes, clean melted snow will be fine. Of course you will want to avoid any snow that is near roads because salt could be in the snow.
FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!