FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By roarke
I'm wondering if (especially because where i live) it is possible to do a poor man tissue culture, i mean a simple (maybe) with every day easy to find and not very hard to find items, maybe from a kitchen, but maybe some every day kitchen stuff...
By sbrooks
I've been trying to understand the basics of tissue culture through this thread as well as videos online and whatnot. As far as the videos I've found, God bless the makers, but they could put Tony Little (late-night exercise infomercial freak) to sleep. One lady had a lengthy multi-part video of her first attempt! (Yeah, it's not much fun watching you try to figure out what you're doing). Then there's the "Whatcha Wanna Do" Guy who pops up first with any TC video search. He, too leaves key explanations out, while the video bogs down with things like trying to open a package, and checking pH. I found a decent page that doesn't get too technical like the "laboratory" videos on the subject. Here is the link: http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/slides/tc/tc.htm ....... A concept is mentioned on here that I haven't heard anyone else mention when explaining TC. They say beginners might want to hammer a nail hole into the lid of the baby food jar, and then cover it with foil. They say this allows the medium to breathe, while keeping out spores and germs, somehow. Up until this point, I never heard this concept mentioned. I was under the impression that you were trying to completely seal the environment up. So could someone explain the phyto cap? Does this too allow medium to breathe, but somehow prevent germs from entering? Sounds magical to me. Are these caps easily removed and replaced, or are they one time use? Do they fit all baby food jars, or should I be looking for a specific size baby food jar? Any response is appreciated.
By happiness
Geez.. This looks like a lot of work! I was hoping I could throw a trimmed Venus flytrap into some water and grow new plants! xD

Is there a cheap way to do it with home made supplies?
By Starchy
happiness wrote:Geez.. This looks like a lot of work! I was hoping I could throw a trimmed Venus flytrap into some water and grow new plants! xD

Is there a cheap way to do it with home made supplies?
You can! It just would take longer to grow. TC involves growing in a sterile environment to promote rapid growth. If you just want to take a cutting and throw it in distilled water or even on very humid/moist CP media, you can most certainly get clones. Veronis has a couple write-ups on those procedures:
Starchy liked this
By bugman
I am going to use magenta b-caps for my pots now I know they let air in and out of the pot, so to stop contamination what sort of tap can I use to seal the pot or should I try a micro porous tape? :0)
By BigBella
bugman wrote:I am going to use magenta b-caps for my pots now I know they let air in and out of the pot, so to stop contamination what sort of tap can I use to seal the pot or should I try a micro porous tape? :0)
I have always employed Parafilm, commonly used in laboratory settings. It can be found through a number of scientific suppliers, as well as Amazon and even eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40

It varies a great deal in cost, both by its width; the size of the roll; and the supplier; but the biggest discouragement in tissue culture has always been that of contamination; and Parafilm has been very effective and cost efficient, considering how infrequently I am required to re-plate contaminated cultures.

Leave the electrical tape and micropore products in the toolbox and medicine cabinet . . .
BigBella liked this
By dupliicity
I have a question, my friend can send me some TC, i read that sometimes the high pressure of airplanes help to contaminate the TC, so, just to be shure i want to sterilize the TC upon arrival.. my question is how can i do that?!I know plants are very weak in TC so i dont want to kill them.. Will appreciate some help, regards!
By Melle
Hello all,

I will give TC another shot. Some years ago I tried it (with succes). But lost most of the plants, supplies and knowledge, haha.

So could you help me with my setup?
For the media I'm thinking of buying this:
https://phygenera.de/Venus-Fly-Trap-Sho ... ion-Medium
Instead of the original MS media. It's okay, right?

I'm still looking for the right Food Jar Caps, can't find a supplier in EU.
Also how to know the caps will fit the baby food jars I have?

Also in the shopping basket is:
- Agar
- https://phygenera.de/Carnivoren-Multipl ... dium-B-1-L ? Needed?

The rest of the supplies Matt is writing about (https://www.flytrapcare.com/tissue-culture-basics) I already have.

For the light. Does the seeds need light from day 1 inside the jar? Or from the day they germinated?

And... what if I DON'T do autoclave and use only disposable plastic containers for the media + seeds?
By GreenOhio
Is there any specific part of a VFT that anyone prefers for explants? I've noticed that newly forming traps can be a bit more challenging to get clean (because of the grooves and gaurd hairs) and tend to have more contamination issues.

I've heard flower stalks can be good for callus induction, but will have to wait until next season for those.
By jose
In my experience the growth point (the inside of the rhizome) and flower stalks are the best explants although seeds are the easiest to sterilize
uxleumas, Matt liked this
By Greenthumbs Garden
Awsome reference, great work. Is it possible to get some updated links? the youtube video is no longer available and some pics not available also any longer. cheers.
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!