FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By rwharold
Taken 2/1/16
Taken 2/1/16
DSC00099.JPG (31.3 KiB) Viewed 6272 times
I purchased a Cephalotus-Czech Giant Form- Large a month ago, and since it has lost 5 pitchers and I am not sure how it is progressing. It is growing on a direct sun facing windowsill under plant grow lights that are set to an on-off timer programmed to mimic local sunrise/sunset times. I mist it twice daily with distilled water and keep in a small saucer that I keep about a 1/2 inch of water in it and let it empty before re-filling. Attached is a current picture. I would appreciate your perception of the picture and any special care that I should be giving. :D
By hollyhock
First I am not a ceph expert....But I believe it is normal for your plant to lose pitchers as it acclimates to your environment. Most people bag their new plant and gradually open it to let it adjust. Since you have had it for a month it is probably not necessary to do that now. It looks healthy and from my personal experience cephs are very hardy plants... Good growing... :D
By rwharold
Thanks hollyhock,

I was looking for a Cephalotus "expert" that could give me more detailed care instructions. :D
By rwharold
Thanks, I do appreciate your comments. But, I do hope for additional replies with their own tips and suggestions. Take care!
By Leathal_Traps
I have over 20 cephs but I still don't consider myself an expert. I've grown many cephs on east facing windowsills and I've never misted them. Just as hollyhock said pitcher die off is common especially when a cephalotus is adjusting to conditions with lower humidity. Good luck!
Leathal_Traps liked this
By rehrlich
Another thing to pay attention to is it sitting in water. My cephs thrived under artificial light with appropriate watering. If there's not a strong breeze/ air circulation the water it the media may becoming stagnant.

Just a thought. Good luck with your cephalotus!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
By minimao
I'm no expert, but mine gets morning sun for quite a long time and I keep her under a coke bottle to amp up humidity. We have had lots of ants recently, and the pitchers have grabbed heaps of them. I keep it moist enough that the fine moss in the pot stays green and top water when it starts looking dry. I use rain water or distilled water. I don't keep it sitting in water and only water the moss , I must the inside of the bottle and whack it on top. Seems to be alright!! [CFY2KNimg]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016020 ... 92979f.jpg[/img]ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
By minimao
I mean mist the inside of the bottle. Argh autocorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By rwharold
Thanks a lot!!! I must say that the pictures you attached clearly shows you have many more nice sized pitchers than mine does. How old is yours? I just hope that mine will look that good someday! :)
By minimao
Over a year old, when I got her she had a few pitchers that have withered away as has been mentioned, so I wouldn't be too worried. My plant loves the humidity and the pitchers open much wider when the coke bottle has been on it. When I first got it the pitchers got a bit scorched which is why I keep it in a place that gets morning sun. I have found if I leave it to do its thing and just water when moss looks dry it's fine! I got a vft from a mate recently which I almost killed though so I can understand your need for care help. As I said, I'm no expert but that's how I take care of mine (ie leave it alone haha) Luckily these forums saved the vft!! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By partisangardener
I am either no expert and have this plant in my third year with aparantly no problem.
But in your case you should have a close look at this page where I posted my assumptions about this problem crown rot is mostly caused by boron deficiancy
http://icps.proboards.com/thread/7261/b ... s-crownrot

This deficiency might be the cause for many cultural problems with this and many other carnivorous plants (others too).
This element leaches out very quickly and can’t be retrieved by the plant from its older leafs.
Maybe even not form its prey because it’s mostly in the cell membrane.
We like to clean our plants and total decay would be the only way to bring it back into the plant.

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Is the pot draining? What water are you using? Wha[…]

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!