FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By roarke
Either do you know your plant age or only the diameter, height and such (a aproximate of plant age or measure is better than nothing, but not a rough aproximate), post here if you want your measurement known. This will help others know at a time in place, how deep the pots may be, how deep the hole in media must be for the plant root and how much the seedlings or leaf cuttings have grow theyr roots in lenght. This is besides the universal measure we already known. I'l start :
ImageImage

Drosera ommisa :

4 mm diameter aprox, 2 cm root lenght.
By Wikiwakawakawee
Great idea! This will give us some good insight on what we need for our plants :)
By Demonaea
Took a handful of pics repotting my collection towards the end of summer...

These ran the length of tall Styrofoam cups, They were adult/flowering size.
Didn't measure buuuuuut
Didn't measure buuuuuut
SAM_2302.JPG (705.52 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
Demonaea liked this
By Grey
This is a brilliant idea! How cool would it be if we could get enough photos to create some kind of database of average root size for different stages of our plants' development? (Keeping in mind the differences in conditions of course, so it'd just be an average of all the supplied data).
Grey liked this
By roarke
Demonaea wrote:Took a handful of pics repotting my collection towards the end of summer...

Give a least some measurments if you want a work done right.
By Demonaea
roarke wrote:
Demonaea wrote:Took a handful of pics repotting my collection towards the end of summer...

I didn't measure back in the summer. Those cups are 6 inches long, so given that the rhizome+roots are buried the roots probably average ~5 inches. But in any case I'm guessing; I just thought it was relevant to share.
By roarke
Demonaea wrote:
roarke wrote:

I didn't measure back in the summer. Those cups are 6 inches long, so given that the rhizome+roots are buried the roots probably average ~5 inches. But in any case I'm guessing; I just thought it was relevant to share.
Ok than.
By Earthy
I just did some repotting today, and as you can see I had to tweak the repotting technique for my Jaws lol (instead of doing the ol' dig a hole with a skewer, it was "put a little in the bottom, dig a hole, and fill in the rest around the root system packing it as I go" lol). this was a flowering-sized plant when I got it, and it's roots were only about 2" long. it was in a 16oz cup and I noticed some roots poking out the bottom last night. guess it's grown lol...wasn't expecting to have this come out...
Earthy liked this
By Earthy
day 2 of repotting, and this is what my BZ Razorbacks' root system looks like lol:
sadly though none of the divisions were loose and ready to go, and I don't forcibly take them off either. last time I did that I ended up losing the momma plant and any divisions that were forcibly removed...all my other plants so far are healthy with healthy root systems. This group is gonna be a beastly bunch when they get growing! but overall (like my Jaws up above this post) looks like I'm finally doing things right lol...

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!