FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By VFT_Enterprise
Does anyone have a recommendation for protection while working with perlite? I've been doing some transplanting/re-potting this week (both for my carnies and otherwise; those 2 cubic feet of perlite need to go to use sometime), and my nose and throat are paying the price.

I used a typical disposable dust mask (which is supposed to be good for sandblasting and working with fiberglass) any time I dug into the perlite bag, and at least until the stuff was wet in the soil mixture.

I was thinking of buying one of those heavy-duty masks that only need the filter changed out occasionally, but I don't know if that might be overkill. Thoughts?
By midwestprospector
I use a neoprene dust mask with an activated charcoal filter. I have problems with lung irritation from perlite dust and dry peat moss dust as well, whenever I'm mixing in my greenhouse. So now, when I need to mix a batch of CP soil, I put the mask on and it seems to be 100% effective for me. Here is a link to the one I use: http://www.harborfreight.com/multipurpo ... 94222.html The mask is very comfortable, I actually forget I have it on after a while and the filter should last forever if you are only using it when mixing potting soil.
midwestprospector liked this
By Jaws
Leathal_Traps wrote:Wet the perlite by misting it before use and hold your breath while doing so.
This.

And this.
nimbulan wrote:I just do it outside, and wet the perlite immediately after pouring it out of the bag. If there's any wind, it'll take care of the dust.
By bvalente
Water is going to help you the most like they said. I don't use peat/perlite anymore but even with LFSM, when its first out of the bag it gets airborne. A mask will help, I personally just pull my tshirt above my nose since it's only a few seconds to a minute before its adequately wet enough to stay in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bvalente liked this
By VFT_Enterprise
Jaws wrote:
Leathal_Traps wrote:Wet the perlite by misting it before use and hold your breath while doing so.
This.

And this.
nimbulan wrote:I just do it outside, and wet the perlite immediately after pouring it out of the bag. If there's any wind, it'll take care of the dust.
I did all that, and it still got me :lol: I didn't take the LF and peat moss into account, though, so maybe that was it. I knew perlite has a reputation for messing you up, but I worked with the LF and peat for a while before ever putting a mask on. Live and learn :roll:

Thanks, everyone!
By katya_dog1
Silica dust is very bad to breathe in, and causes Silicosis, a nasty disease that I would definitely recommend avoiding.

You can buy a respirator with replaceable filters if you use perlite often, but generally just thoroughly spraying it down from a reasonable distance outdoors will work. I still only do it on a breezy day, and I wear a disposable dust mask while doing so.
Perlite from Ebay

this is the cheapest option i can find for perlite[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!