FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By MichaelG
I am willing to pay shipping and the cost of the plant! I don't really care about the price, but I want an established adult plant please instead of seeds.

Please get back to me, I can't seem to locate anyone in the US selling these rare plants.
By nesler
MichaelG wrote:instead of seeds.
That's not an issue anyways, as genuine cultivars are only reproduced through cuttings or self-induced splitting. Secondly, I've heard that wacky traps may not even be able to reproduce, as their flowers come out deformed.
By Budukai
Yeah join the club, seeds from a wacky plant aren't a guarantee of wacky trap seedlings, if someone is trying to sell something like that, you are being fooled and you would end up with a pack of typicals at most. Seeds of any dionaea if you think about it are actually their own cultivar. Since the distribution is so slow, my estimation would be 2 years or more before that cultivar even reaches the US as a marketable species. I know I've been pining for that cultivar for ages, but in due time I suppose.
By Matt
Yeah, this plant isn't for sale anywhere in the US and I only know a handful of people that even have it. I was lucky enough to secure a fairly decent sized specimen. I'm hoping that it flowers next spring and I'll be able to get it going in TC. It's not a full grown sized plant, but I've seen smaller plants flower.

However, David Conner has been trying to get it established in TC for a few years now. I'm not sure why, but he hasn't been successful. I hope I have better luck.
By lemonlily
I don't know anyone who has a wacky trap.

I just have a question... If the flowers may not make seeds, does that mean all those wacky trap plants came from one plant originally?
By Matt
lemonlily wrote:If the flowers may not make seeds, does that mean all those wacky trap plants came from one plant originally?
Yes. Nearly all plants that are a particular cultivar came from one plant. If people don't state that the plant their selling is a clone of the original, I would hesitate purchasing it.
By nesler
Matt wrote:Yeah, this plant isn't for sale anywhere in the US and I only know a handful of people that even have it. I was lucky enough to secure a fairly decent sized specimen. I'm hoping that it flowers next spring and I'll be able to get it going in TC. It's not a full grown sized plant, but I've seen smaller plants flower.

However, David Conner has been trying to get it established in TC for a few years now. I'm not sure why, but he hasn't been successful. I hope I have better luck.
I'm assuming you got your specimen from Dave, as he's the only one I know of selling commercially that has worked with them much.

And a bit of reading indicates that several people have had little success in doing tissue culture successfully. Maybe it's an inherent issue of their goofy nature? Apparently they divide much, much more slowly than just about all other varieties of VFTs.

In this forum post, a member of the ICPS board mentions that he's had a pair of Wacky Traps since 2005, and as of May 2009, they had only divided once. So he had to resort to leaf pullings.

My feeling is that they'll never be very common, and so social engineering is your best bet at buying a specimen.
By Matt
nesler wrote:I'm assuming you got your specimen from Dave, as he's the only one I know of selling commercially that has worked with them much.
No, I got mine from Bob Ziemer. And I don't think that Dave is selling them.
nesler wrote:And a bit of reading indicates that several people have had little success in doing tissue culture successfully.
Who else has tried TCing them? The only person I know of that actively micropropagates Dionaea in the US that has one is David.
nesler wrote:My feeling is that they'll never be very common, and so social engineering is your best bet at buying a specimen.
I wouldn't count on that. The one I have is actually growing pretty well. It's put out lots of new growth since I've had it. And Bob has several plants himself including one fairly large one. If you can propagate the plant through pullings, there isn't any reason you can't get it started in tissue culture. If I get a flower stalk, and I might next spring, I'm pretty confident that I can get it started in TC.
By MichaelG
I was afraid of this sort of response! Similar to the "join the club" response haha. I realized the thing about the seeds being infertile right after I posted my thread. I was hoping nobody would notice :)

I hope to find some soon enough, or at least to try to be satisfied with what I've got!

But Matt, if you ever tire of your Wacky Traps (which I doubt you will!) I'd be willing to pay top dollar for it!!
By nesler
Matt, I'm aware that Dave doesn't sell them. But he's fiddled with them for a while. And my reading had given a general feeling of pessimism. But...perhaps there's hope. It'd be interesting to see it go mainstream. And that would increase the chances of someone, somewhere getting seeds off the damn thing and seeing if the mutation carries over into offspring.
By Matt
MichaelG wrote:But Matt, if you ever tire of your Wacky Traps (which I doubt you will!) I'd be willing to pay top dollar for it!!
Since it was given to me as a gift, I would never sell it. I would give it to someone else to enjoy, but as you say, I doubt that will ever happen. It's actually my favorite plant right now.

I just hope I'm able to propagate it so that many others can share in the joy of growing it.
By Xeno
Im on the hunt for this wacky trap atm :p cool that u got one btw :D
By lemonlily
Wacky traps are still very cool. It's just so bad you can't get seeds from it. Or at least, if you want to share a part of the plant, you'll have to get it into pieces. Unless someone wouldn't want theirs... Which is almost impossible. If I had a clone of it, I actually wouldn't mind if I gave it away. Not that I wouldn't want it, but because all everyone else love these plants so much. So that being said, I'd waste it, if I had one. :D

I think I got tired and I stopped looking at these plants... I'll still get mine though...
By MichaelG
Dang. I had a dream last night that I went to a store that had the hugest VFTs I had ever seen in my life, and they had every single cultivar and clone imaginable. They were all for like 5 bucks each for huge plants, and I bought so many that this really hot guy (I'm a girl with a guy's name, not a gay guy) came out and helped me take them all to my car. I got a Wacky Traps plant and sooo many others... then I woke up and reality set in. Boo. And my plants didn't come in the mail today.
By watnazn
Hahah. mmmm hot guys and venus flytraps.
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!