FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Mrs H
Hi everyone!

I am a science teacher in South-central Nebraska and my students LOVE the idea to growing VFTs or other carnivorous plants. However with $1mil lost in state aid this year and a projected $0 in state aid next year I am looking for a very inexpensive (or free) source for seeds. If anyone can help us out, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks in advance!

Mrs. H
By Mrs H
Chipi3s wrote:http://www.revenue.nebraska.gov/researc ... ckolls.pdf

Hmmmmmm...

Chipi3s, not in Nuckolls, Furnas http://www.revenue.nebraska.gov/researc ... furnas.pdf. I know we are getting local aid - didn't say we weren't. I also didn't say we were the only school that would be getting $0 from the state next year - some schools have been dealing with that for a while.

I just wanted to state why I was asking for free as a newbie on the site. I did purchase some seeds (from amazon :( because I was told to find the cheapest deal), but when word got around the school that my 7th grade class would be trying to grow VFTs from seed I got inundated with "I want to buy one" from every 7-12 grader. The little money I make off of this will go towards supplies for keeping some VFTs, so that I can raise my own future seed, planting supplies, and I plan to pay the kindness forward whenever possible.
Mrs H liked this
By SerMuncherIV
Growing Dionaea from seed is a long process that takes many years to get mature plants. You might be better off just acquiring cheap tissue-cultured plants, provided that proper conditions can be provided (otherwise the experience will likely be short-lived and disappointing). Might I suggest trying to go for a faster-growing and less demanding carnivore, like Drosera capensis?
SerMuncherIV liked this
By Mrs H
SerMuncherIV wrote:Growing Dionaea from seed is a long process that takes many years to get mature plants. You might be better off just acquiring cheap tissue-cultured plants, provided that proper conditions can be provided (otherwise the experience will likely be short-lived and disappointing). Might I suggest trying to go for a faster-growing and less demanding carnivore, like Drosera capensis?
SerMuncherIV - I did realize that the VFTs would take more than a year to mature. Part of our lessons on plants is that they have varying maturation rates, and I figured that this would be a perfect example of that. Plus it should keep the students interested in the project (at least until school gets out). I am open to other carnivores and will see how feasible Drosera capensis is for my classroom at this time.

Thank you for your helpful comment and I will see what I have and need to do something faster as well.
Last edited by Mrs H on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Benurmanii
I think that Drosera capensis, as Sermuncher suggested, is a much better option for two reasons.

1. Kids don't have lots of patience, and I'm not just saying this. I was a seventh grader not too long ago, and even days lasted a lot longer back then. It would be much more sastisfying, and exciting, for the kids to see significant growth in their plants after only a week (most sundew seedlings tend to grow faster than VFT seedlings). Sundews seedlings can also be easily fed with crushed fish food to boost their growth, whereas small Venus Fly Traps requrie a bit more effort to feed.

2. You can easily get sundew seeds in bulk for free all year. VFTs only produce seed during late spring/early summer (not sure the exact time of season, someone may correct me on this), so you'll have to purchase seed during the season, and its viability will drop significantly if you wait until the beginning of the school year. It is also likely that you will have to pay for the VFT seeds, and you would probably get less seeds than you would from a free lot of capensis seeds.

Just my two cents.

Also, D. capensis would probably survive more easily in a classroom environment. They demand less light than VFTs.
Benurmanii liked this
By Mrs H
Benurmanii wrote:I think that Drosera capensis, as Sermuncher suggested, is a much better option for two reasons.

1. Kids don't have lots of patience, and I'm not just saying this.

2. You can easily get sundew seeds in bulk for free all year. VFTs only produce seed during late spring/early summer (not sure the exact time of season, someone may correct me on this), so you'll have to purchase seed during the season, and its viability will drop significantly if you wait until the beginning of the school year.

Just my two cents.

Also, D. capensis would probably survive more easily in a classroom environment. They demand less light than VFTs.
Benurmanii - thank you for your two cents!

I know that my middle schoolers don't have a lot of patience (not only have I worked with them for 6 years I have two of my own :o ). This is one of many different types of plants for that reason. We are doing vegetables, herbs and some more "non-native" plants to our area such as the carnivorous plants you guys are suggesting if I can pull them off.

I am just getting my computer back from my middle child now that she is done with homework, so I can better look into D capensis than I could on my not-so-smart phone.
By HeliamphoraWalnut
Mrs H wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:I think that Drosera capensis, as Sermuncher suggested, is a much better option for two reasons.

1. Kids don't have lots of patience, and I'm not just saying this.

2. You can easily get sundew seeds in bulk for free all year. VFTs only produce seed during late spring/early summer (not sure the exact time of season, someone may correct me on this), so you'll have to purchase seed during the season, and its viability will drop significantly if you wait until the beginning of the school year.

Just my two cents.

Benurmanii - thank you for your two cents!

I know that my middle schoolers don't have a lot of patience (not only have I worked with them for 6 years I have two of my own :o ). This is one of many different types of plants for that reason. We are doing vegetables, herbs and some more "non-native" plants to our area such as the carnivorous plants you guys are suggesting if I can pull them off.

I am just getting my computer back from my middle child now that she is done with homework, so I can better look into D capensis than I could on my not-so-smart phone.
I'm in 7th grade, and our teacher got a D. Capensis. it grew quite well under a lamp, and everybody( I think) loved it.
HeliamphoraWalnut liked this
By pokie22
I have extra seeds of various easy growing cps and I believe in engaing my younger students as well. Send me a PM with your institutional info and address.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
pokie22 liked this
By Mrs H
pokie22 wrote:I have extra seeds of various easy growing cps and I believe in engaing my younger students as well. Send me a PM with your institutional info and address.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

pokie22, pm sent
By Mrs H
Wow - thanks for all the information, help and offers.

Eric Millikin, pm sent.
Last edited by Mrs H on Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs H liked this
By Mrs H
Chipi3s wrote:Glad you were able to find a solution! Sorry I was just a little suspicious because you were new. If you need any help with anything this community is very friendly and helpful!
Completely understand - thus my lengthy response ;)
By habber
Grow both venus fly trap and sundews it will be fun and you can watch the sundew grow whilst waiting for the venus fly trap

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!