FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Handrail Pete
Back in August, I made a thread for dewy pine and King sundew seedlings (king sundew experiment was disastrous) and I thought I'd update progress with a new thread since the old was full of nothing.

My first dewy pine seed FINALLY germinated about two weeks ago. Here's its ongoing progress:

And my existing dewy pine (not seed grown by me)
Last edited by Handrail Pete on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
By hollyhock
Glad to see. I planted some Drosophyllums seeds a month ago (nothing visable yet) and was wondering how long and also what conditions? I have them uncovered in a tray of water on a seedlings heat mat under two T5 lights appropriately 7 inches from light. Sound like this will work? Any tips? And what happened so catastrophic to your D. Regia? Thanks
By Handrail Pete
Out of 8 Regia seeds only 2 germinated. I overfed 1 (I think) and the other suffered sudden death a few weeks later from unknown causes.

I germinated my drosophyllum on a sunny windowsill at room temperature in lfsm with a layer of peat at the top (spag to suck up water from the tray, peat not to lose the seeds).
By Mufasa
kinda funny haha, in the space of time that you planted those seeds and they germinated, i bought some, planted them, and grew them to a really nice size... atleast this one did anyway lolImage
By Handrail Pete
My big dewy pine suffered a bad case of sudden death syndrome. It flowered, and less than a week after collecting the seeds it stopped producing dew and then turned black. Hence the empty pot.

In this picture, I just moved the seedling into a larger biodegradable pot and I almost lost it, too. The roots had gone through and were poking out of the bottom of the biodegrade, and I simply placed the whole thing inside of the next pot that was lined with substrate in the bottom. What happened next was that it stop producing dew and the leaves started drooping and didn't hold their form. Even the new uncurling leaves started to lose form before unrolling. It seems to be coming back - we'll know in a week's time if this one is gonna bite the dust too. If there's anyone out there with extensive experience with this species I'd love to get some advice please!!!

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!