FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By ewertb
Filtering through forums for 'recipe' information has become somewhat of a pain so I want to attempt to create a database of sorts that contain the basic recipes that have been used successfully for the various CP species. Note that I am not an expert as I have ZERO actual tissue culture experience. What I know/don't know is what I've managed to decipher through reading many forum pages and other internet sources. This will hopefully assist beginners, like me, as a supplementary source of information to https://www.flytrapcare.com/tissue-culture-basics.

I ask that all active tissue culture practitioners contribute to the recipe list by submitting or endorsing recipes posted by others. Recipes on first mention will be marked 'unconfirmed' while endorsed recipes will be marked 'endorsed :geek:'. To endorse a recipe please quote the recipe in your reply and state your endorsement. I will capture your replies, new recipes and endorsements, and update the list in this main post so you don't have to scroll through pages of replies in search of a recipe. The format for the information is open to suggestion but for a start I'm thinking to use the following format:
Species name, purpose (multiply/root): strength and type of medium + adjustments, if any (e.g. full vitamins); concentration and type of hormone; amount of sugar + any other addition (charcoal)

For example it might look something like this:
Dionaea, multiply: 33-50% M&S + 100% vitamins; 0.5-1mg/l BAP; 30g sugar - (endorsed :geek:)
Dionaea, root: 33-50% M&S; none; 8g sugar - (unconfirmed)

Seems like I was trying to make this more difficult than it is, sorry. CP's are easier to grow in tissue culture than I though so please just refer to the basic info (https://www.flytrapcare.com/tissue-culture-basics) as that should suffice for any carnivorous plant you might wish to grow in vitro.
Last edited by ewertb on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By TCGator
There will be plenty of multiplication occurring on the rooting medium that you mentioned above. In my opinion, the BA is superfluous in the multiplication medium.
TCGator liked this
By Mufasa
recipe? i dont get it, theres a recipe in matts TC guide which is pretty standard for almost any carnivorous plant... beyond that, any deviation will depend on what your goals are.. mainly hormones, and sometimes varying the concentration of m&s... i dont think recipes work for tc very well
Mufasa liked this
By ewertb
From what I could gather easier species like Dionaea, Drosera and Sarracenia do not require much different 'recipes'. That apparently differs with stuff like Cephalotus and different Nepenthes species that can be quite fussy with regards to how they are tissue cultured. Like I stated, I'm no expert, but from everything I've read some cp's seem to require differences and variations to the basic recipe to achieve multiplication or rooting.

This might also however just be a case of chasing 'optimal', i.e. getting an extra 5% more callus by adding some BAP vs. not, or rooting 1 week sooner with some NAA vs. not... For commercial growers that 5% or 1 week matters, for hobbyists, probably not. For us in South Africa that don't have access to the same market variety as the States or EU that 5% matters as importing is expensive for us and that extra 5% can make the difference between establishing a new clone/species for our own market or not.
By Mufasa
well, cephs and neps both grow in that same standard media without hormones... adding hormones would still depend on your goals
By ewertb
Seems I stepped into the pitfall of internet-information-over-load and tried to make this more difficult than it should be, sorry. Admin can lock this thread as it doesn't contribute anything useful to the cause.

Kind regards.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!