FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By CaMoreno3
I tried to do a leaf pulling without uprooting my plant and I accidentally split the rhizome...
The end of the rhizome that was attached to the leave I pulled had a majority of the roots on it, and the rhizome connected to the rest of the plant had a few roots on it.
I just kinda stuck it back together and squirted water on it.

Is my plant doomed?
Is there anything I can do to save it/lessen it's suffering?
By kevinqwe
one thing you can do that will help it less suffer is to just leave it alone. your plant should be fine but one thing you should have done was planting the other half.
so did you follow through with the leaf pulling or did you just leave it?
By CaMoreno3
I did plant the other half and I also followed through with the pulling.
By Matt
Earlier this year I pulled the center out of my Sawtooth plant when I tried to do a leaf pulling. It was stunted for most of the year, but finally started growing. Hopefully your plant does something similar and gets over the splitting of the rhizome. Though I wouldn't expect much growth until next spring.
By CaMoreno3
Matt wrote:Earlier this year I pulled the center out of my Sawtooth plant when I tried to do a leaf pulling. It was stunted for most of the year, but finally started growing. Hopefully your plant does something similar and gets over the splitting of the rhizome. Though I wouldn't expect much growth until next spring.
As long as my plant survives, I'll be happy.
By Siannuro
I've been there! I bought a flytrap from Steve_D and I tried to do a pulling and ended up breaking the plant into 8 different clumps. Only one died, the other seven are recovering. Oh, and two of the seven are growing flower stalks (which I'm cutting because they are still in recovery). Just leave them alone, don't disturb them and they'll recover!

~G'luck!
By Nickrober
I've done the exact same thing, except I did it at the beginning of the summer. I put each half in a different pot. Most leaves died off both halves, and very small ones grew in their place. It looked nearly dead for about a month and a half, but the past two months both halves have flourished. I'd be hesitant to say that it will be ok with dormancy coming up so soon. It may not have any time to recover before then.
By afh928
You have done enough, leave it be now and keep an eye on it through winter and hopefully it will recover. If not...lesson learned! ;)
By CaMoreno3
Ok,
I'll let everyone know how it goes.
By CaMoreno3
Good News!

I put the plant in the middle of my back yard where it got full-direct sun from sunrise to sunset for 3 days.
It's now back in it's old place where it gets some direct sun and a lot of indirect sun.

But to the point.

It's not dead!
AND it is putting out new growth as well as continuing to grow the newer old growth.
(I trimmed off all the old growth to relieve stress on the plant.)

It has 2 fully developed leaves, 2 that will soon open, and 1 or 2 (can't tell as one looks very small) leaves coming in.

Thanks for all your help,
Cameron
By CaMoreno3
Thanks Matt.

:mrgreen:
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!