FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Earthy
my Intermedia x Rotundifolia cross seedling decided to do this. if it is a hibernacula not sure why it would have made one; it gets a long photoperiod, moist medium, and warmth. the leaves haven't moved in growth. the D. Tonkanensis and D. Capensis seedlings are doing fine in the same container. what should I do?
By entropy81
Hard to tell because it's so incredibly small. But yeah, it looks like a small hibernacula.

Both rotundifolia and intermedia go dormant for me regardless of what the temperature or photoperiod is. Yours could be too. Capensis shouldn't ever go dormant, and tokaiensis probably won't if it doesn't have to either. I just leave them alone until they come out of it. They handle it pretty well. My rotundifolia actually goes dormant twice a year, summer and winter, the intermedia only once a year. They've been through a couple years with 75 degree 16 hours lit dormancy. When it wakes up and starts growing again feed it.
By Earthy
Do I just keep watering like normal? It would be hard to water it differently since they are all in the same container...
By Earthy
Okay cool!! I had another one that did this but it died (not sure why; thought it was too wet) so hopefully this one will survive and start growing again :)
By Adelaide
Yes, and it looks to be a healthy one as well. Just keep doing what you're doing! (My rotundifolias have all formed hibernacula as well, despite keeping my normal watering and lighting schedule.)
By Earthy
Thanks so far!! It seems to be sleeping away; hopefully it'll wake up soon and start growing again lol
By Earthy
I'm gonna let it do what it wants lol...I'm sure it'll wake up when it wants to and feels it's time :)
By LuminousAphid
Yeah the only temperate I have is a D. rotundifolia, and it is dormant right now despite being near all my tropicals which are doing great. Its hibernaculum is even smaller, due to some abuse it underwent this summer (I let it dry out multiple times, which was not appreciated). This one is wild, and seems to have made up its mind that now is dormancy time; I had no say in the matter!
By Earthy
sorry to say that it fizzled out and died yesterday :( so, I sowed some more seeds in hopes that I get some more, being I've never had this cross before...so kinda sad :(
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!