FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By Cleo_13
I found this in Walmart a few weeks ago, and since it's leaves looked healthyish I decided to try to save it. When I got back, I immediately cut off everything dead that I could get, but I didn't have anything good to put it in. I finally got something the right size, but I uprooted it and even more roots were dead. Here's what it looks like after I removed everything I could- Neither of the two roots left are over an inch long. If I prop it up in a pot, will it grow more roots? It's leaves still are healthy. I don't want to just give up on it.
Attachments:
2015-11-09 002 002 (640x480).jpg
2015-11-09 002 002 (640x480).jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
2015-11-09 002 001 (640x480).jpg
2015-11-09 002 001 (640x480).jpg (40.6 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
By Adelaide
Phalenopsis are epiphytes, meaning they get their moisture and nutrients from the air. Orchid roots don't look like a normal plant's roots. Those green worm-like tendrils are the orchids roots. Looks like there are enough left in good enough shape that it will be just fine - just be careful that it doesn't sit in water or the roots may rot and die.
Adelaide liked this
By evenwind
I'm not seeing anything terrible in the pics. You've got at least 2 healthy roots and two that may regrow. I can't tell what the black area on the stem is, but as long as it doesn't spread you should be okay. If it were me, I'd sprinkle some cinnamon powder on the black parts, especially if it's not dry.

As Adelaide said, Phals are airplants so you could just stick it some place convenient as spray it as needed. But since you're planning on potting it, be careful choosing the growing medium. Always keep in mind that the roots need air. If you go to your local garden center or box store, they probably have something called "Orchid Medium" (or the like) made up of mostly 1/2"-3/4" bark chips and assorted other stuff. This would be fine - it leaves plenty of air between pieces. Another common choice is sphagnum moss, with or without extras like perlite. If you go with sphagnum, get good quality stuff and don't pack it tightly at all.

Watering technique will depend on the medium. The idea is to not quite let the plant dry out completely (the leaves are semi-succulent so you've got some leeway).
evenwind liked this
By Cleo_13
Everyone, thanks so much! I'll definitely keep trying. The black bits are the ends of dead roots that I cut off as close as I could but couldn't get entirely. I ran into a slight difficulty just now though. The plant is too top-heavy for the container I was going to put it in. The only thing it won't currently tip over is the pot it came in- which has no drainage hole. Since it's an epiphyte, could I prop it up at the top of the pot, with maybe a bit of moist media at the bottom for humidity (but not touching the roots), and spray it?
By evenwind
Cleo_13 wrote:Since it's an epiphyte, could I prop it up at the top of the pot, with maybe a bit of moist media at the bottom for humidity (but not touching the roots), and spray it?
The simple answer is "yes". But I don't think you'll need any media at the bottom for humidity. Phals are pretty happy at household (or dorm room) conditions. You'd just have to be careful that the plant doesn't move around. The growing tips of the roots are delicate and easily hurt. Which is why they're typically potted or mounted so they're unmovable.

On the other hand, is there any room at bottom of the container that you planned on using? Can you just put a bunch of pebbles in to counter the top-heaviness? Your typical quartz pebble is unlikely to hurt a Phal - they're nowhere near as finicky as CPs. Probably the best solution would be a clay pot, if you can get your hands on one.

BTW, I read of an experiment years ago where a guy filled a pot with glass marbles and poured in enough superglue to stop them from moving around. He placed a Phal on top, watered it regularly and it did just fine, with the roots growing in the gaps between the marbles. Like I said, Phals aren't finicky.
evenwind liked this
By Irish63
Just don't place it in to bright an area or it'll die, phals like a dim light.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

S. flava or a hybrid

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Is the pot draining? What water are you using? Wha[…]

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Email them (or call them) and ask if it's pure per[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!