FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By KissMegan
Has anyone seen this? I could've sworn a week ago this was going to turn into a flower stalk and now it's this weird pitcher thing

This is what it looked like a week ago.

Go home heli flower stalk thing you're drunk Image

Oh gosh! Just noticed the same thing on the heli next to it...

Image (harder to photograph this one)
Could this be because I moved them out from under a t5ho setup to a vegetative growth led???
KissMegan liked this
By Nancy
I doubt it's anything that you did or didn't do unless someone with lots more experience says otherwise.

Mine did the same thing yours are doing before they pushed up they're first flower stalk. Since this is my first experience with Heli's flowering (currently have 5 mature Heli's in bloom...) I wasn't sure what that "mutated" looking growth was. I just kept giving them the best of care possible and sure enough, few weeks later they all popped up flower stalks!

Am actually hoping someone with a lot more experience can say what that growth is cause I'm also wondering and curious..............
By chevyguy8893
I can't say for sure what that growth is exactly, but one of mine did that two or three weeks before sending up a scape as well. The scape emerged from a different point on the plant when it did finally flower. I never looked to see if my others did that before flowering though. Anyway, like Nancy said, I doubt it was anything you did. Mine has certainly showed no signs of stress after sending up the mutated pitcher.
chevyguy8893 liked this
By KissMegan
Nancy wrote:I doubt it's anything that you did or didn't do unless someone with lots more experience says otherwise.

Mine did the same thing yours are doing before they pushed up they're first flower stalk. Since this is my first experience with Heli's flowering (currently have 5 mature Heli's in bloom...) I wasn't sure what that "mutated" looking growth was. I just kept giving them the best of care possible and sure enough, few weeks later they all popped up flower stalks!

Am actually hoping someone with a lot more experience can say what that growth is cause I'm also wondering and curious..............
I just found out its called a bract pitcher and it's really common in helis haha. It's definitely strange but super cool too :)
KissMegan liked this
By Nancy
KissMegan wrote:Right haha!! I was like I swear a week ago it was for sure a flower. Definitely odd but as long as they're healthy I don't mind :)
Now you have a flower to look forward to in the near future :D
By Astral_Revenant
Lovely sun pitchers. The bract pitcher looks like the missing link between the sun pitchers & regular ones. Hopefully you get a flower stalk out of the bract one. I remember the savage garden book, mentioning this one rare sun pitcher, thought to be the link between the above. ;)
By katya_dog1
Very nice helis, Megan.
By KissMegan
Astral_Revenant wrote:Lovely sun pitchers. The bract pitcher looks like the missing link between the sun pitchers & regular ones. Hopefully you get a flower stalk out of the bract one. I remember the savage garden book, mentioning this one rare sun pitcher, thought to be the link between the above. ;)
Haha I hope I get some flowers too :) really looking forward to it

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!